Defenders (19)

Both Nay and Dex were on my case about getting better. They both knew how quickly I healed, but this didn’t matter to them. As soon as we got back to the DAU, I had to get into bed. Right after Dex wrapped me up, of course.

That sure was awkward. Me, only in my bra, being wrapped up in gauze by Dex. Who was Dex.

I thought he would be immature about it. I thought he would laugh and make fun of me, but he didn’t. He acted like a complete gentlemen, and it wasn’t something I was expecting from him. I really thought he was going to act like a little kid, but I was the one that was acting more like a child than he was. Maybe because that made it easier for me to deal with all this.

“Stop squirming,” he scolded every time I moved. “Squirming around is only going to make this harder for both of us.”

It was already difficult enough. My squirming was not going to make a difference.

“Damn it, Violet,” he spat when I continued to move. “Stop fucking moving.”

“Do you have to swear?” I had to ask, moving even more just for the heck of it.

“I do when you won’t stop moving!”

I didn’t see the appeal of swearing. Sure, I’d do it every so often, but never as much as Dex. I only ever really said hell or damn. I couldn’t remember the last time I had used to F word, if I ever even had.

“It hurts,” I nearly whimpered, and this caused Dex to immediately become gentler as he continued to wrap the gauze around my abdomen.

I wasn’t bleeding anymore. The wound had healed that much on its own. But it still really hurt, especially when you applied pressure onto it.

When he was finally finished, the gauze was so tight that I could hardly breathe. Dex saw this and tried to loosen it, but that only irritated my wound even more, so he stopped and just left it as it was.

“Are you okay?” he asked me once he was finally finished, his big hands on either side of my bandaged abdomen. They were really warm, even though the multiple layers of gauze.

“Yes,” I answered honestly.

“You sure?” he continued now, not removing his hands from my sides.

“Yes, Dex,’ I assured. I now placed my hands on his to try to pull them away, but he was too strong, and he wouldn’t let go of me. And I didn’t really mind.

His hands were rough, but they still felt nice. They weren’t rough enough to hurt me when I held them, but they were definitely a contrast to my soft ones. They were so big, but not freakishly big. They fit the rest of his body perfectly. 

I then remembered that I wasn’t wearing a shirt. I was only in my bra with gauze wrapped around me, and none of this passed for a shirt in the slightest. I could have been naked and it would basically be the same.

“You’re turning red,” Dex pointed out, and this only made me turn even redder.

“You're really warm,” I whispered, unable to control myself.

He looked down at my bandages and then back at my face. “So are you.”

We were so close that I could have kissed him if I wanted to. And the scariest part was… I think I did want to.

I hadn’t ever felt something like this before. I didn’t know what it was like to actually want to kiss someone. Dex had been the only person I had ever kissed, and I didn’t even kiss him back. I had no idea how to kiss back.