Chapter 7

"Mom, what was it like when you met Dad?" I asked, hoping that she wouldn't shy away from the topic because of what happened with Dad all those years ago. My mother's pale skin shined in the afternoon light as a ghost of a smile graced her cracked lips. A hollow look entered her eyes but not the normal one that I had grown used to, this one held a distant glimmer of love and hope. 

"Believe it or not, but I hated his guts when I first met him," She chuckled, amusement written all over her face at my shocked reaction.

"But Mom," Thirteen-year-old me gasped, "I thought mates were supposed to love each other instantly! Was it Dad? Was he rude?" 

"That's not how it works, Lexie. Mates were made by Artemis to compliment each other. They are half of your soul, but that doesn't mean that you will instantly fall for them. Having a mate will challenge you in ways you never thought possible and will meet you equally in almost every aspect. It takes effort on both parts for a mate bond to grow and flourish into what most see. As for your other question, no, you father wasn't rude. It was me. I was arrogant and stuck in my ways and your father was trying his hardest to please me. It took me a while until I realized how bad of a mate I was being and to change my ways. You see, it's not always the males that can abuse or hurt their mate. Mates are equals and with that equality comes the chance that either mate could equally cause pain to the other. Some see mates as the greatest weakness, but they are only a weakness if the relationship isn't treated properly. If a couple work together and overcome each of the others personality flaws, they become one in purpose and one in heart leading them to be the ultimate team." 

Pain racked my body as I rose from where I was sprawled. Glancing around I winced at the sight. I was still in the forest. And it was midday. Artemis please protect me. Realizing that I was going to get into more trouble if I didn't hustle and make my way back towards the Alpha's house, I moved my tense muscles and forced them to comply with my requests. My head pounded and pulsed at the light attacked my heighten senses reminded me of a horrible hangover I had when I was younger. Inside me, I felt a few people trying to contact me through mind link, but I chose to ignore them. As terrible as it sounded, I didn't want to deal with anything yet. I wish I could go back to when life was simple. When mom told me stories about dad and how they met. Thinking of that brought back the dream I just had. I say dream but it was a memory of a long time ago, back when I started to conjure up the dream that my mate was going to come and save me, my mate in shining armor. 

As I approached the Alpha's house, all around me was eerily quiet. There were no males outside laughing and fighting, nor were there males inside scarfing down food while the females swarmed around cleaning up after them. It was like the scene in a horror movie where you see a person enter a building and there's no signs of life but you know that someone's there. The first sign of life that I came across sent my stomach to my throat. A woodsy, sharp smell wrapped around me like a blanket. Whether it was there to smother me or to give me comfort, I couldn't tell, but it was there none the less. His musical laughter was what hit me next, drawing me in like a moth to a flame. I got so distracted that I accidentally let my mental walls go down enough to let in whoever was trying to contact me. 

Shit Lex! I've been trying to talk to you all day! Where have you been? Ronen was ultimately pissed this morning and there was talk that it was because he woke up to find you missing. To top it all off, some of the King's warriors brought in Damen to talk to him! Where are you? Taking a mental breath, I paused, trying to gather all my strength. Give me a whole pack of males pissed at me waiting to tare me apart, I'm fine. Give me a mate who constantly keeps popping up at the worst of times and I want to run to my room an cry. Before I could answer Phoebe, the door I was standing in front of burst open and standing before me were the two men who have changed my life forever, laughing together. Inside me I could feel Siku stir, wanting to forgive Damen and be in his arms. Dropping my eyes, I moved to get out of the way when I felt an arm snake around my waist, squeezing it harder than was necessary.