Chapter 10

It wasn't long before I made it back to the house. Things were busy, people all over preparing for a feast of some kind. Curious, I made my way to one of the older staff and asked her what was going on.

"We just got word that a neighboring pack will be visiting. The King has been trying to ally himself with this pack for years but they have always refused. They say they're looking for a key member of their pack who had vanished. You should look for Mia, she'll have things for you to do before Ronen fetches you."
The kitchen was in chaos, she-wolves everywhere trying to fix up a large dinner in short notice. Mia spotted me standing there and motioned me towards her, handing me an apron she ordered me to start peeling the potatos and carrots. Two hours later things in the kitchen started to slow to a reasonable pace. Suddenly the entire kitchen stopped what they were doing and bared their necks. Ronen made his way towards me and grabbed my arm dragging me towards his room.

"You are to put on your best and be presentable within an hour. We have special guests that I would like to impress tonight." He growled out before shoving me into the room, slamming the door and stomping his way downstairs. Rolling my eyes at his dramatics, I made my way towards the closet to put on my best dress. It was a strapless dark blue and gray dress that complemented my light features. Making my way towards the bathroom I glanced at my reflection. Staring back at me was someone I had hoped I'd never see again. The haunted look had returned back into my eyes while my pale features managed to look even more pale than before. Unlike before, I didn't see defeat in her eyes. Her eyes bore confidence and determination something that I had grown to like most about the way I looked. A soft knock on the door brought me back to my senses.
"Come in!" I yelled. Phoebe silently made her way towards me, eyes cast downwards, neck bared. Growling, I made my way towards her and placed both of my hands on her cheeks and forced her to straighten her head. "Look at me." I commanded using my alpha voice, giving her no option but to obey. Her eyes were drained of the life I had come to know and love. All that shown there was regret and despair.
"It is not your fault." I said in the softest voice I could muster. And with those five words she broke. The strongest, fiercest woman I have grown to love and cherish like family began sobbing hysterically in my arms and I was powerless to help her. After a few minutes she started to calm.
"I'm here to help you curl your hair." She said between sniffles. "Gods know you can't work something as complicated as that by yourself" Letting out a chuckle I just shrugged.
"I was never allowed such luxuries growing up." Another sob broke free before Phoebe was able stop it. I knew I shouldn't have mentioned how I grew up because it took on a whole new meaning now that Phoebe has experience a little of what I grew up with, but I had grown to accept my past. "Don't cry for what was, it's in the past." Nodding, Phoebe wiped away some stray tears before grabbing a curling iron and getting to work.
After a few moments of silence I cleared my throat. "You wanna talk about it?" Letting out a deep breath, Phoebe sighed.
"I don't know how you grew up and survived so long here. It's the underworld incarnated. After you got stabbed, I lost it. I promised you that I would protect you and this pack and I failed at that. Chris tried his best to comfort me but I broke Lex. You're my best friend and I wasn't there when you needed me the most. What kind of friend does that? Anyways when I saw that girl getting beaten this morning I swear she looked just like you and so I did what I should've done to Ronen, well I did as much as I could before someone finally pulled me away." She paused before continuing, "I'm sorry I wasn't there".
Phoebe finished my hair in silence. When I was given permission to move I turned and hugged Phoebe with all my strength. "I don't blame you Pheebs, it's not your fault. It's Ronen's. And I will get revenge." I vowed to her and myself.
We made our way downstairs and took our places in the shadows just as soon as the other pack arrived. Standing to greet them was Ronen, Damen and Ronen's beta. Three tall men walked through the door, each of them over 6 feet tall. Bowing they greeted the Alpha King.
"I see you have found our missing pack member," the tallest of them stated, staring directly at Damen.