Chapter 17: Unfinished Business

The recent reminder about Emma's attacker is becoming a distraction to Michael. He has a larger workload than usual and several deadlines approaching, yet, Michael can't concentrate on his job. Instead his thoughts linger on Jason Wilkes; the man who hurt his little girl. Though Emma's injury was only a minor concussion and she doesn't seem to have any long term damage, Michael still has the urge for revenge.

Unable to focus on his work, he requests to leave early. He explains to his boss that he has a personal situation that needs his immediate attention. Being a loyal employee, Michael promises to make up the time.

Jason Wilkes is virtually a mystery to Michael. He doesn't know much about him, except his name and that he works at O'Malley's Tavern. As he races across town, anger insistently infects his mind. Michael contemplates all the possible outcomes this confrontation might have. His thoughts range from a simple, yet stern, warning, to a severe beating. Michael realizes the consequences he could face if things are taken too far.

As he parks the car in the rear lot of the bar, he sits a moment to allow his head to clear. He needs to play it cool because he knows the situation could easily get out of control the second he lays eyes on Jason.

Michael proceeds to the front of the building. Pictures of Sheila Ducane and the sketch of the man suspected of her murder are plastered all over the windows. The flyers are worn and tattered from being in the elements for so long.

He enters the bar and looks around. A few patrons are sitting at the bar enjoying an afternoon drink. A sole bartender is working. Michael stares at the man for an instant. He has never met Jason before, so he doesn't know what he looks like. All Michael does know, is this bartender doesn't look familiar. He assumes that this man might be Jason.

Michael approaches the bar and sits. The bartender acknowledges his newest customer, "Hey, how's it goin? What can I get ya?"

Michael doesn't want to accuse the wrong man, so he bides his time. "I'll have a Bud Light."

The bartender grabs a glass, flips it in the air and catches it. "You got it."

Michael keeps his eyes locked on the man until he returns with the drink. "Here you go."

He grabs the beer and quickly takes a sip. "Thanks."

The bartender nods. "No problem. I'm Jason. If you need anything else, just let me know."

At the mention of his name, Michael grips the cold glass of beer tightly. He grits his teeth and his eyes burn through his target. "Sure."

Over the next several minutes, Michael's mind goes through a vast range of emotions. He studies Jason as an assassin would study their mark. He sizes him up, trying to assess this man's true character. Jason seems like a normal guy, but Michael still has the impulse to jump over the bar and pummel this man.

He drinks his beer rather quickly and slides the empty glass away. Jason grabs the glass and asks, "Can I get you another?"

"No. I'm good."

"I'll be right back with your check." Jason turns to the register to ring up the order.

Michael gets up and walks out of the bar. Once outside, he waits.

Moments later, Jason rushes out of the bar. "Hey man? You still gotta pay!"

"You want me to pay?" Michael pulls his wallet out and flips it open. He holds up a picture of Emma. "Well, I want you to pay?"

Jason stares at the picture. "W-what's this?"

"This is my daughter; the five year old little girl that you hurt."