Chapter 19: Show and Tell

As the evening hours arrive, Nancy prepares to make dinner. She removes a frozen block of ground beef from the freezer. She places it in a pan of water to help speed the thawing process. She grabs a box of noodles from the cupboard and fills a pot with water to boil. Just as she turns the burner on there is knock at the door.

Nancy goes to the door, curious as to who might be visiting. She opens the door and sees a familiar face. Though it is not someone she has ever met before, she recognizes this man. She only opens the door partially and keeps her body protectively behind it. "Yes?"

"Hello Mrs. Young. My name is Harvey Dunn, I'm the Chief of the North Point Police Department."

Although he isn't in uniform, Nancy already knows who this man is, having recently seen him on TV. "I know who you are... you were on the news. They said you were wanted by the F.B.I."

The fugitive chuckles. He lies to her face, "No. That was just a misunderstanding. I have already met with the F.B.I.'s Special Agent, Ryan Whiltshire and they've cleared my name." Harvey removes the business card and holds it toward Nancy. "Here's his card. You can call him if you'd like."

Nancy looks at the card suspiciously, but refuses. "That's okay... what can I do for you?"

"I was hoping to speak with your daughter, Emma."

"Emma? About what?"

"As you know, a detective I closely work with, Brandy Page, was recently attacked. She was in a coma for almost three weeks... she recently woke up but she can't remember anything. I want to try and help her to remember. Brandy's much more than just a co-worker to me; she's also a close friend."

"Yes, I heard about Detective Page. It's just terrible what happened to her. I'm so glad she's awake now... but what does this have to do with Emma?"

"Mrs. Young, it may take a few minutes to explain everything. May I come in?"

Nancy is reluctant. She doesn't know this man, nor does she trust him. "Umm, I don't know... Emma is resting and then we are going to have dinner."

"I assure you, it won't take long."

Against her better judgement, Nancy allows the stranger into their home. The two adults sit on the sofa.

Harvey begins, "One of my fellow officers said he spoke to you a few weeks ago at the hospital."

Nancy nods, "Yes, that's right."

"Officer Stan Neilen. He said that you told him that Emma has nightmares."

"Yes."

Harvey looks at a note pad, "...and that her nightmares were coming true?"

"Yes...I-I told him everything I knew..."

"I know. I'm just being thorough. When one of our own is targeted, we need to look closely from every angle. That's why I'd like to speak to Emma. I'm hoping she's able to give us more information."

Nancy stands, "I'll go get her."

Emma is led by her mother to the unfamiliar man. Nancy introduces her. "Emma, this is Harvey. He's a police man."

Emma rudely points at him. "Stranger... I don't talk to strangers..."

Nancy recalls the incident in Emma's room with the teddy bears. She quickly interrupts, "Emma! Be nice."

Harvey attempts to earn her trust. "No, no Emma. I'm not a stranger. I'm a friend. Can we talk for a few minutes?"

Nancy coaxes Emma to sit near this man on the couch. "Go on sweetie." She nods to Harvey.