Chapter 20: Pit Stop

With the car finally packed, the Landell's are ready to begin their journey. Janette grabs her purse and picks Christopher up. She calls for the girls to get in the car. "Kara, Abby, time to go!"

The girls proceed to the front door and are greeted by David. "You guys ready?"

Abby holds her bear, "Where are we going?"

"We're going to see some friends. They live in a town called North Point."

Abby's eyes grow wide. The mention of North Point, the town she is originally from, has her excitement bubbling.

David holds the door for them. "Come on, everybody in the car." He calls to his wife, "Janette? I'll get the car started. Can you lock the door?"

Janette holds the three year old on her hip. "Okay, I'll be right out." She stops for a moment to think; trying to reassure herself that nothing is forgotten. She grabs her keys and starts for the door. Suddenly, she sees a torn scrap of paper lying on the floor next to the kitchen table. She curiously bends down to pick it up. Written in pencil, she sees part of a word. It looks as if it says, KILL. Janette isn't sure what to think about it. She stuffs the paper into her purse and continues to the car.

David starts backing from the driveway. He asks, "Is everyone buckled up?"

Kara quickly tattles on Abby. "No! Abby's not wearing her seatbelt!"

Abby gives an evil stare to Kara.

David requests, "Abby, you have to wear your seatbelt, honey. It will keep you safe if we have an accident."

Grudgingly, Abby puts the restraint on. Again, she gives Kara an unpleasant glance.

Kara makes a mean face back. She sticks her tongue out and narrows her eyes at Abby.

Abby must look away. The more she lets Kara get away with this behavior, the more she wants to murder her. It is a true feat of mental strength for Abby to refrain from killing her. All she can think is, 'Just wait until we're alone... when there's nobody here to save you.'

As David drives, his wife sets the GPS to their destination. The device is something Abby is not familiar with. She asks, "What is that?"

Janette looks to her, "This gives us the directions to get places."

Kara smarts off, "Are you stupid? Everybody knows what a GPS is."

Janette warns her oldest child, "Kara, I don't want to hear you use that kind of language. Be nice to your sister."

Kara continues, rolling her eyes, "She's not my sister."

Abby ignores Kara. She requests to see the contraption. She holds her hand out, "Can I see it?"

Janette hands the GPS to her. Abby takes it and studies it. "How does it work?"

"Well, you just type in the address of where you want to go and then it tells you how to get there."

Ever curious, Abby wants to know more, "How does it know?"

Janette wasn't prepared to go in depth on how the machine works, she sighs. "There are satellites in the sky that know where you are. They communicate with the GPS unit and tell you where to go."

"What's a satellite?"

Kara chimes in, "God! You don't know anything! What planet are you from?"

Janette scolds Kara again. "Kara, that's enough! One more outburst like that and you're grounded." She turns her attention back to Abby. "Abby, please... my head is starting to hurt right now. I will explain it to you later."