Chapter 23: The Height of Frustration

While Michael is dealing with Emma, Nancy makes the call to Janette.

Janette answers with a hint of sadness in her voice, "Hello?"

Nancy has an upbeat attitude. "Hey, Janette, you guys on the road?"

"Yes. We're about halfway there."

Nancy is keen to her friend's depression. "What's wrong? You sound upset."

"I-I can't talk about it or I'll start crying again."

"Oh, well I hope everything is okay with you guys."

"We're all fine..." Janette pauses a moment, before sharing the tragic incident. "Oh Nancy... there was another accident." Janette whispers the rest to keep her children from hearing. "A man was killed at the gas station while we were there."

"Oh no! What happened?"

Janette sighs, "He was an auto mechanic. The lift must have malfunctioned... a car fell on top of him."

Nancy throws her hand over her heart, "Oh, that's terrible. I'm so sorry you had to see that."

"Me too... I think we're cursed." Janette tries to make light of the situation.

Nancy chuckles, "You're not cursed. You guys are good people and sometimes bad things happen to good people."

Janette half-heartedly agrees, "I suppose you're right."

"Anyways, I was calling to see if you wanted to stay at our house while you're in town, we have plenty of room."

The offer helps to improve Janette's mood a little. "That would be great, but it won't work out tonight. Even if we drive straight through, we won't be in North Point until the middle of the night. I wouldn't want to wake everyone. We'll just stay at a hotel for the night and get an early start in the morning. We should be there around 8am."

"Okay, I can make breakfast if you want."

"That would be great. Thanks Nancy."

"Okay, drive safe. I'll see you in the morning." Nancy ends the call and suddenly hears Michael and Emma arguing in her room.

Nancy hurries to her husband and daughter. As she approaches the door, Michael storms out passed her. "She's grounded this weekend!"

"What happened?" Nancy follows after him.

He doesn't want to tell Nancy about the threat. "Her smart-mouth happened! I don't who she thinks she is to back-talk me but it's not okay!"

Nancy tries to understand, "Well, what did she say?"

Michael looks at his wife with anger in his eyes, "What does it matter? She talked back to me and she shouldn't have!"

"I'm just trying to help, Michael. You don't have to get so mad."

He sighs to calm himself. "I know. I'm just stressed... I have a lot on my mind. Emma's behavior just pushed me over the edge."

"We all get stressed out, Michael, but you need to have a little more patience with her... remember, she's five."

His anger fades further away. "I know she's five and I think that's the reason I got so upset with her... five year olds shouldn't talk back to their parents."

Nancy nods in agreement. "I know, but you have to understand what she's going through too... So what else has been bothering you? You've been very on edge, since you got home."