12

Bright blue eyes held back tears as the kids in her new school laughed at her curly out-of-control hair. The young girls grip on her pencil tightened slightly.

The blonde boy yelled at them with a few cuss words, earning him a whole hour sat in the head teachers office.

She sat in the park on some rusty swings that made a loud squealing noise whenever it moved. Her blonde friend sat on the swings next to her. He apologised relentlessly about the events that happened in school but she just shrugged and said she didn't care.

The only sound heard throughout the park was the sound of their laughter. "I think your hair is beautiful." he smiled, she shook her head, giggling slightly in response. Her curls bounced around her face as she laughed at her silly blonde best friend.

The 12 year old girls bright blue eyes stared at her reflection in the mirror. She did care what people thought. She wished she was pretty like the other girls in class, maybe then her dad wouldn't hate her so much. Eventually, she responded to her fathers constant yells and went downstairs. A loud banging on the door interupted the uncomfortable silence held by the young girl and her father.

She watched the door as her father hastily got up to answer to the social worker.

She watched the door as her father screamed and swore at the fragile woman on the doorstep.

She watched the door as her father slammed it in the womans face, pounding the wall with his fist creating a small dent.

She watched the door as her father swallowed down more of his bottle whilst the men in black hats and bright yellow vests pounded on the door and eventually kicked it down.

Bright blue eyes watched the door as the men in black hats and bright yellow vests dragged her father out of the house, and potentially out of her life as the fragile woman knelt down in front of her, promising her everything would be ok.