Pre Teen years

There I am. Jack David Robinson at 13 years of age.

Smile away, you twat, and cut that damn hair

School life

Pre pubescent years are always difficult. This chapter of my life is really the 'beginning', taking place between UK school years 7-9, meaning I was between the ages of 11 and 14.

These years, for me, were pretty healthy. I was into the furry community and had a string of girlfriends, all from school, outside school and online. I was the closest thing you could have to a young slut, really! Fully heterosexual and certainly not female at this point, as it pretty much the same for most people at this age.

I was (and am) very fortunate. I had two loving parents, two siblings, a well off family, big house and a nice school. The only trouble I really got into was created solely by myself. I picked fights with bigger boys, learnt how to skateboard and I joined the playground black market specialising in the sales of chewing gum.

It took me two years to find the friendship group I fitted in with - I was constantly drifting, trying to be a 'chav', trying to be an 'emo', trying to be a 'try-hard'... I just couldn't find anyone who accepted me fully.

I finally ended up in the sort of 'inbetweeners' group- only this team was huge. With easily over twenty people, we dominated large areas of the playground and had our fair share of power exchange when it came to other groups. Yes, we were all something of a nerdy mess, but we rarely had much trouble with the 'populars', a group feared and admired by everyone in the year.

As we all progressed in age, the groups became closer netted until there was three clear clans - The nerds, The Populars, and of course, us - The Oaken group.

The name was taken from the nearby park we all met at on weekends and Wednesday's after school and it became widely accepted as our badge.

Now, Oaken and the Nerds had strong ties- we got on with them and they got on with us. The populars, however.. Well, they had their sporty types, their party types and their unwanted ones. We tried to steer well clear of them, most of the time.

Me posing with Ramirez the ballon

How I changed

At last, I had found my footing. I was part of Oaken. They helped shape me the weedy, awkward kid into a brave, confident guy. I started steering away from my support networks found in the furry community and I slowly got more and more invites to parties and social gatherings. I played Xbox a lot with them - Specifically HALO: Reach and FIFA 12.

I also bagged myself a nifty nickname, too - Robbo. Funnily enough, my dad also had the same name at his secondary school, due to our surnames being Robinson. I took pride in the name and still answer to it today in school and with mates.

Close friends

I had my mates in school, of course - but my real mates were to be found scattered across my local village. Leo, Alex and Max where my closest of close friends - the four of us would film cheesy videos for YouTube and explore a nearby island armed with sticks, tents and flint and steel. It was really fun, actually - Looking back has reminded me how great being a child really is. I would see them most weekends and play online with them on the same old games.

Leo had a reputation for being... 'derpy' He's much brighter now, thank god, but he was always the one coming up with some ridiculous plan to skateboard on a boat.

Alex, his younger brother, was the smart one. He was logical and methodical, a writer, artist, architect and musician. He didn't let his breathing problems stop him from jumping off a bridge with me, mind.

And of course, Max. I actually saw him recently, staying a night with him and his girlfriend in university. As kids, he was always the technical one. He knew how websites and cameras worked, he was following all the YouTubers and was always the one to organise a big event with us all.

 He knew how websites and cameras worked, he was following all the YouTubers and was always the one to organise a big event with us all

A young trio of myself, Max and Alex at the GoodWood festival of speed

Me and Leo...

That's my early childhood years!

Privileged, one might say - lucky enough to avoid any horrible, life changing sob story you were all hoping for. I am glad to say that I got off very lightly compared to some of my other friends who weren't so lucky in their youth.

Now, impatient reader! You've probably noticed that the title of this web book is clearly marked 'How to do the trans thing'. Well, hold your horses! I've got several LGBT topics to cover in my later years of being a youngster. The fun hasn't really started until I hit the GCSE years...

 The fun hasn't really started until I hit the GCSE years

Skiing