Chapter 1

-Several Years Later-

"Layla, Layla? I need your help." Mr. Naski called from upstairs.

"Coming!" She ran up the stairs, nearly tripping over her dress as she rushed. "Yes?"

"Can you hand me the wrench?" he asked, pointing to the tool mere inches from his grasp.

"Really? You couldn't just scoot over?" she sighed and stalked over, grabbing the cool metal and placing it in his plam.

"Thank you." he chuckled. "I'm placing out new items today, so rush back after school."

"Crap, school!" She panicked and began getting ready for the day as she ate her breakfast, pulling up her skirt at the same time.

Grabbing her bag, and slidding on her shoes, she ran out the door of the antique shop and bolted down the street to the school. The bells chimed as the doors locked and she groaned.

"Late again..." she sighed and sat outside the doors. Looking up into the clouds, she got an idea.

The window was open in the class right next to hers and she always heard the teacher come in late, so if she could just climb up there and slip in... Looking around, she strapped her bag around her shoulders and started scaling the tree by the window. She reached the window and jumped in, ignoring the looks of shock as she bolted to the next room, sitting in her seat and pulling out her books.

"Miss Meow, would you like to explain to me why you are late again?" the teacher never looked up from the board.

"Well, um... My foster dad forgot to wake me up early this morning, so I didn't get to get a head start on the day to visit my sick foster nana who might not make it to the next day..." she faked a sniffle and the teacher sighed getting on with the class.