Chapter 10

When running out, Baron saw her abandoned case in the bridge to the palace. He gently knelt next to it and opened the trunk.

"She said she left it behind and wouldn't leave without it." Toto cawed, landing beside Baron.

"It's just a bunch of pieces of porcelain..." Baron picked up a single white piece and began to inspect it.

Toto nudged him and pointed at the small blue piece. "What's that?"

Baron moved and picked it up. His whole figure started to shake as he stared at the blue piece that had black swirling on the inside.

"I-I know what this is." He quickly put the piece back and slammed the chest shut. "Put this in the castle and don't let anyone touch it."

"Baron. What is it?" Toto picked up the chest.

"I-Its Baroness's figurine form..." he choked on his words as he stood

Toto nodded before flying the chest inside the palace. Baron and Lune continued on their way to the portal by the river as Layla came to at her captive's home...

- The other side of the portal-

"Let me go!" Layla beat on the door that was confining her to the small room with a barred window.

"No matter how many times you ask, love, you still cannot be let out." Duke said from a different room of the house.

"Baron will come looking for me and you know that!" Layla growled.

"That's why I have a trap set for my dear brother." Duke smiled wickedly as he poured the clear potion into the cup on the tray.

"No..." Layla's crying could be heard as she slumped against the wall next to the door, ripping more of her dress.

Duke carried the tray to her room/cell and opened the door just enough for him and the tray to fit through.

"Here is some food." he offered the tray.

"I'm not hungry." she huffed and glared.

"When you change your mind, it'll be there." Duke quickly slipped out, going back to work.

Layla eyed the food, her stomach growling. The steak and fries are too good to be true, they must be laced with something. She thought, At least the water looks safe.

She picked up the glass and took a long gulp of it before gagging.

"Old and hot water. Blah." She put the half empty glass down and yawned."Catnap time." She chuckled at her joke before curling up and falling asleep.

- The Rescue Group-

"How much further, Lune?" Baron looked around cautiously.

"We should be right on top of it."Line frowned.

Baron took several steps ahead of Lune and disappeared. Lune quickly followed him throught the portal, frowning.

"Do you see any sign of him?" Baron questioned, looking around frantically.

"There's a hut on that hill. That must be him." Lune pointed out.

Baron nodded and made his way there quickly. The door creaked open as the party approached, Duke exited the hut.

"Dearest brother... I was wondering when you'd come to visit me and my fiançe." Duke smirked.

"You don't have a fiançe." Baron growled.

"Actually I do, and you know her." Duke stepped aside to reveal Layla with a ring on her finger and clinging to Duke.

"I said yes the moment he asked. He is so handsome and smart." she dreamily sighed, kissing his cheek.

"Dear, not now. We have company." Duke purred at her.

Layla looked at the heartbroken Baron and confused Lune. "And who might you two be?"