Chapter 2

Classes were finally over for the day as Layla made her way back to the shop for the night. Mr. Naski was sure to be closed by now, but she was permitted entrance because she worked and lived there.

"Mr. Naski, I'm home!" she said, dropping her stuff at the back door.

"Layla, Layla! Hurry up and get in here! You'll never believe what I found in the attic." he shouted from upstairs, full of excitement.

She smiled and rushed up the stairs, dumping food in Moon's bowl on her way up as she saw the cat on the porch. "What did you find?"

"My old cat figurine!" he smiles brightly, showing her the Baron figurine that has been freshly dusted and poslished.

She stopped in her tracks and looks softly at the figurine. "A-A cat figurine?" she stumbles on her words.

"Yes! I bought it many years ago, back in Germany. I can't believe I forgot about it. I say it's about as old as you, if not older." he smiles and places it on the table.

"Th-that's great..." she mutters, stepping back a few steps.

"What's wrong dear?" he looks worriedly at her.

"Nothing sir. I just remembered I forgot the means, I mean bilk, I mean we are out of milk and beans. I'll be back." she shies away and goes back downstairs, shedding herself of her uniform and putting on her comfortable clothes.

The streets were less busy as she hurried to the store, trying to get her mind of things. "That statue did not wink at me. It didn't." she repeated over and over, huddling in on herself for warmth.

A loud screech of tires distracted herself from her toughts as a truck stopped centimetres from hitting her. "Sorry!" She yelled, running the rest of the way across the road.

She gasped for breath as she stopped on the slick sidewalk, rain beinning to downpour. The jacket she had on provided little cover from the enormous drops of water. She rushed to the store and groaned in frustration, seeing it had just closed.

"Great! Just great!" Layla huffed. "How can this day get any better?!" She shouted into the sky, lightening flashed in response as the winds picked up.

"It was a rhetorical question, not a challenge..." she sighs and takes shelter in a nearby alleyway.

The familiar meow drew her attention away from her drowning shoes as she looked to see Moon sitting on a box a few feet away.

"Moon, what are you doing here? Shouldn't you be inside?" Layla tilts her head.

The cat starts off in the opposite direction of her, further into the alley.

"Moon, wait! There are stays and such here! They could kill you!" She gives chase, protesting against the cat's running away through the night.