Chapter 2 - Percival's Suggestion

The servants in the hall dart out of the fuming prince's way, all wondering what had gotten the man in such a mood, but none having the courage to ask. Was Merlin late again? No, couldn't be. He would be shouting down the halls otherwise. Did one of the knights miss training? Maybe. Nevertheless the servants watch the prince out of the corners of their eyes, maybe giving him a bow as he passes to ensure they wouldn't be throttled. As they walk away hurriedly, they all silently pray for the poor manservant that would need to deal with him for the rest of the day.   

Arthur storms down the hall towards the armoury, paying no mind to the passing servants, with his fists clenched at his side and face filled with anger as he ponders the numerous ways he should end Gwaine's life. Perhaps a hanging would be suitable? Or perhaps he should just run the man through with his sword right there and then? That would certainly save the trouble of a trial. 

As the ideas float about in Arthur's head, he runs right into Merlin. The servant stumbles back, almost falling on his bum before regaining his balance. He smiles at Arthur, looking a little awkward still from the previous days incident. Merlin takes a step back, as if distancing himself from Arthur as much as possible without the prince noticing. Only Arthur did notice, and it hurt him more than he would admit. Perhaps cooking Gwaine in a vat of hot oil would be best.

"Um... are you feeling alright today, Arthur? No urge to eat insects? No urge to flirt with me?" Merlin asks shyly. 

"No, nothing of the sort. I'm perfectly fine. No enchantments on me today," Arthur tries for a smile but it looks forced. According to Merlin, he had been under some form of enchantment that caused him to be infatuated with his servant yesterday. He said the sorcerer had turned him into a toad while in the hall but thankfully Gaius was able to find a cure before anyone found out. He knew the first part wasn't true. His feelings for the manservant isn't the result of some enchantment. It's real and pure but he isn't about to correct the boy. At least this way he has no need to explain the reason why he had been acting like Gwaine.

"That's good to hear. Though I had to admit you looked pathetic as a frog," Merlin snickers.

Arthur's face begins to heat up from embarrassment. He had not personally seen what he looked like as a frog, but having judged from Gaius and Merlin's grinning faces when he returned, it must not have been pretty. "Shut up. And you said you wouldn't bring it up again."

Merlin chuckles to himself. "Sorry. I'm sorry. Though I think we really should have kept you as a frog. You would have been a lot more useful than you are now, catching insects and all."

"Merlin!" 

The servant only grins before turning around and escaping down the hall. The prince heaves a sigh, contemplating whether he should chase after him or go wring Gwaine's neck. He opts for the latter. 

He turns back to face the direction he was going before Merlin's arrival and heads down the hall, feeling happier after his encounter with his servant.

When he arrives in the armoury it's to find his knights tossing Gwaine's helmet through the air. The group stands in a circle with wide grins on their faces as Gwaine chases the helmet back and forth between them. They laugh in amusement as Gwaine trips on his own feet, collapsing onto the stone with a groan. 

Arthur grabs the helmet from the air as it soars from Leon to Percival. The smile immediately drops from their faces as their prince catches them horsing about. They look nervously from one another, afraid of what punishment they will receive for such unknightly behaviour. Gwaine rises to his feet, a smug smile on his face at witnessing his friends being caught in the act. He approaches the prince, about to retrieve his helmet before Arthur conks the metal over his head. The others hide small snickers as Gwaine falls again on his back. He rubs at his head, trying to soothe the lump beginning to form.