Chapter 5 - Elyan's Suggestion

The windows are bolted shut in the room. The curtains are tightly drawn, allowing none of the moonlight to seep in. A single candle flickers on the centre table, wax dripping down its side from the prolonged use. Eerie shadows paint the walls, forming five hunched figures. One of the figures move, beginning to pace back and forth along the room.

The chamber is silent, save for the sound of the pacing man's boots striking the wooden floor and the rattle of the window as the wind howls outside. The man stops, turning to face the other's in the room with his head hanging low. "I still say we don't tell him," Gwaine says.

"He is the prince and he deserves to know that his own servant is a sorcerer," Leon says, looking down at the table where his fists lay clenched.

Lancelot turns to Leon. "Merlin's our friend too. Sorcerer or not. We owe it to him to keep this secret and besides, I have seen the things he's done. He means no harm."

"Keeping this hidden won't be good for either of them," Elyan says, "the longer this goes on the more it will hurt. And sorcerers are known to lie. One had lied to my father, resulting in his death. I'd say I would prefer if the prince knew. Allow him to pass judgment."

"Are you saying you don't trust Merlin?" Gwaine scoffs, sending a nasty glare towards the blacksmith's son.

Elyan holds up his hands in defence. "I'm only being cautious. I've had bad experiences with sorcerers and would rather us be careful."

"Did you not see what he did? He saved Arthur."

"And he has yet to come back to Camelot. The trip back should have only taken a few hours at most. It has been two days. They ought to be back by now," Leon says.

Gwaine stomps towards the table, slamming his hands down onto the wood, rattling the candle. "Are you implying that Merlin is going to kill the prince?"

"I'm not saying he is. I'm only stating the possibility. I consider Merlin a friend just as much as the rest of you. I can hardly believe he has an evil bone in his body, but if he has been dabbling in witchcraft, whether it was good or not, I would rather the prince know. Especially when he's in love with him."

Gwaine sighs. He turns towards Percival, who has remained silent through the whole interaction. "What do you think? Should we tell him or not?"

Percival is quiet. He looks between the others in the group before settling on his decision. "I think we should talk to Merlin. We should hear his side of the story before deciding anything. It's unjust to decide this without at least hearing from him."

Lancelot nods. "Indeed. Perhaps hearing from him might make you change your minds. and besides, quite frankly I'm curious as to why he learned magic. He's never told me."

"Then we'll wait another day. If they're not back by then, we will head out and look," Leon says, gaining a nod of approval from the others.

----

Thankfully, the prince and his servant returned the following morning. The knights gather out in the courtyard to greet their future king, faces filled with relief as they see him fit and healthy. Arthur smiles at them, looking more refreshed than he has been for months. He dismounts easily, seeming to be fully recovered from the wound in his chest.

Merlin smiles at the group as well before dismounting. He turns his back on the others, unsaddling his horse and chatting idly with the stable boy. The knights are already heading towards Merlin, ready to drag him into an alcove and confront him but the prince steps in between them.

Arthur smiles at all his knights again widely, clearly happy about something. He claps Leon on the shoulder. "Thank you all, for telling me not to give up."