Servant

Hey guys!

I am glad you are enjoying this :)

Here's the second one for you -

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I apologize for Mother's rude behavior, Dear Isabella. Losing Father has made her upset," Alice said to Bella as she escorted her to her chambers.

"There is no need for an apology, Alice. Your mother did not do anything wrong. She is the Queen, and I am just a servant. I am obliged to do as she says."

"But she also knows you are my friend! She was never this rude when we were younger--indifferent may be, but not rude. I do not understand," Alice said, shaking her head in confusion.

Isabella understood very well. Inhabitants of the castle and its grounds had been quite thorough in reminding her of her station since the year she turned twelve, the year her mother died, the year her best friend left her behind. With no one to protect her, the kitchen staff and handmaids, who had always been jealous of Bella's friendship with the Prince and his sister, did not waste their time in reminding Isabella that she was just a farmer's daughter.

"You are a servant, Isabella. Just because the princess thinks you are her friend doesn't mean you can get away from your work!"

"You have been allowed in this study only because the Princess demands. If not, I would have thrown you out sooner."

"Start plucking those weeds. Who do you think is going to take care of the gardens? Now that your mother is gone, it's going to be your job. Is that understood?"

"Papa, head maid Miss Jane says I am a servant. But Mama always said I was her princess. Am I a servant Papa? Was Mama lying? Why would Mama lie, Papa? Even my Edward says I am his Princess, just like Alice."

But Bella had soon realized how wrong she was.

Bella and Alice had grown up together with Edward on the castle grounds. They had been best friends since the day Bella had accidentally wandered into the Princess's chamber when they were barely five. Both girls had been found by the maids, hidden amongst the huge curtain drapes playing hide and seek. From that day onwards, Bella and Alice had been inseparable, and Edward had always joined in on the fun.

The trio would be found playing games in the castle gardens where Bella's mother, Renee, tended to the flowers. Due to this reason, Renee had subsequently started taking care of the children. She had not minded this development in the slightest. She had always loved children and wanted more. Unfortunately, she had had trouble conceiving, but she still had her Isabella. Feeding the children lunches, watching them play and telling them stories of faraway lands had brought her great joy and immense happiness. She had also been pleased that Isabella had finally found friends around her age. Renee had constantly worried that her baby was too lonely and without any playmates.

The Queen had found this development rather unsatisfactory and hence, had separated her children from Isabella, but eventually had to give in after the King reasoned with her when Alice had thrown a fit and Edward had stopped eating food altogether from being apart from their friend.

"Esme, my love, I do not think there is any harm for the children in playing with the farmer's daughter."

"But, Carlisle, she's a servant! I do not want my children to become unruly."

"As a matter of fact, my dear, I think the exact opposite has happened since the children started playing with the girl and her mother. They have been more cheerful and lively as of late. The farmer and his wife are good people. Do not distress yourself over this. I think Renee has been doing the nursemaid's job better than the nursemaid herself."

And thus had begun a beautiful friendship between the three innocent, young children, completely oblivious of their status or place and with little knowledge that time would force them to become cognizant of the harsh world around them.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Isabella was heating the remaining onion soup from yesterday's supper on the fireplace for her and her father in their little cottage situated on the far west corner of the castle grounds close to the forest. She had tended to the Princess, given her a bath and had made sure the Princess had eaten her supper before falling asleep in her warm bed. Only then had Isabella made herself go home, where she took care of her ailing father.

It had been more than a month now, but her father's constant coughing had not seemed to lessen. It had become the main cause of her worry. Hearing the sounds of another coughing fit from her father's room, she rushed in carrying a glass of warm water.

"Here, Papa, drink this, slowly. I have added a pinch of salt to help with the cough." Isabella held the glass to her father's lips with one hand and held the other around his shoulders, providing the support needed to sit up on the cot.

"Th- thank you, my sweet child," Charles said after lying back down on the cot.

Moving sideways and patting the cot, he asked Bella to sit.

"How was your day, My Princess?" he asked smiling, expecting the same answer she always gives.

"I'm no princess. Please stop calling me that." She scowled.

"You will always be a princess to me and your mother, no matter what," Charles said, taking her hand in his weak ones.

Bella could not stop the tears from collecting in her eyes. "I am worried about you, Papa. It's been more than a month now, and you are coughing still. Even the liquorice soup the Healer suggested does not seem to be working."

"Do not fret my child. I will be well soon, and the soup does help. The cough is not as bad as it used to be."

But Isabella did not believe her father. She knew he was just trying to lessen her worry.

Charles started coughing again.

Isabella did not seem to know what more she could do to help her father. She always made sure to come back to the cottage to check on him whenever she could find time, whether she working at the castle or tending to its gardens. She felt as if she was not doing enough. She decided she would go meet the Healer again or bring him here if she could.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please leave me some love.

Thank you for reading and I'll see you guys next week.

~stz