The Three Questions

Hi my dear readers,

Thank you for all your love, votes, comments and above all patients. So without futhur ado, here's the next chapter.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bella could not believe what had happened at the castle. She was still stunned at what Edward had announced. Was he serious about taking a common bride? But why would Edward want that when he could have Princess Rosalie, or any other Princess for that matter.

Did he want her to...? No, no, that's not possible. He does not want her anymore. Does he? After all he did say any eligible Princess, Lady and Maid. Bella could not help but question everything.

It was morning now, and Bella had barely slept through the night. The questions were going to be released today. She was a bundle of nerves, and she could hardly sit or stand. She could not help but continue to pace the little space in front of the fireplace at the cottage.

Bella's father continued to look at his excited daughter with amusement and concern. He knew of her feelings towards his King; he had known since they were children.

"Aren't they adorable, Charlie?" Renee giggled, seeing young Bella and Edward stealing looks at each other.

"They are, but Renee, we both know this is never going to work. He's a Prince, and I am afraid we all tend to forget that at times. I do not want my Isabella to suffer," Charles said, concerned for his daughter.

"Oh, have a little faith, my dear. I am sure everything will work itself out in the end."

"This is not one of your fairytales, Renee."

"But that's the thing, my love, all my fairytale are based on real life stories. Or did you forget how we got married?" Renee laughed.

It was true; he had to have a little faith. After all he had been married to a princess himself. But that was story for another time.

"Bella, sit down and breathe. The messenger will bring the questions when he is able. Pacing the floor won't bring him here sooner."

"But will he come here, Papa? To our little cottage? I don't know..." A quick knock on the door made Isabella stop mid-sentence.

"Well, go on. Open the door."

Isabella moved quickly and opened the door to let the King's messengers in.

"Isabella Marie Swan?" one of them asked.

"Th..That's me," Bella answered.

"Well, here you go, Miss. You have our best wishes for tomorrow's ball." The messengers gave Isabella the rolled parchment and left."

"Thank you," Isabella replied a little too late before closing the door and going to sit next her father, all while staring at the roll in her hand.

"Oh, for heaven's sake, girl, open the damned thing already," Charles said, thinking that his daughter was losing her mind.

Blushing, Isabella opened the parchment with shaking hands and read the questions.

"So, what are they?" Charles asked.

Bella was a bit confused. "They are very simple questions about him, Papa."

"Simple for you, you mean." Charles laughed loudly and started coughing in the next second.

"Papa! I'll get some water."

"Sit down this instant, child. I am fine. Now, tell me what the questions are."

"First, it asks what his favorite food is," Bella said with a small laugh before she continued. "Then it asks who the person the King holds closest to his heart other than his family is." Bella shook her head while her father laughed. "The final question is 'what does the King hold most important above all else in his life."

"Ha, I am sitting next to the future queen then." Charles chuckled after hearing the questions.

"Don't be silly, Papa. These questions could be answered by anybody. And I still haven't decided if I am going."

"Oh, you will be going Isabella," Charles said.

"After all, the ball is being held only for you, "he mumbled softly under his breath before continuing. "The King is smart, simple questions with tough answers."

"I don't know, Papa. They still have full day today and half day tomorrow to find all the answers. And Papa, the answers I know are for the Edward that I once knew. For all I know, he might love sturgeon for supper now."

Charles laughed. "Oh, Bella, even I know he hates fish. I am sure Edward hasn't changed much, if at all."

"Even if I did decide to go, I don't have anything wear!" Bella said, crestfallen.

"Come with me," Charles said.

"What?" Isabella asked, confused.

"Help me up child and take me to my room."

Bella helped Charles to his room. He then asked Bella to remove her mother's chest from under the cot.

"Open it," Charles said.

Bella opened her mother's chest only to find it full of the invaluable treasures that her mother held dear.

"Now, move all the things on top to the floor. It should be at the bottom."

"But what, Papa?" Bella asked perplexed.

"You'll see," Charles replied cryptically.

Bella found something wrapped in a cotton cloth at the bottom. She removed the cloth only to uncover satin and lace.

"Pull it out."

Bella let out a gasp as she removed a beautiful midnight blue gown made of satin and embedded with crystals and lace. It felt so soft in her hands!

"Papa, where did this come from? Whose is this?" Bella asked, stunned.

"It was your mother's," Charles replied.

"I didn't know Mama had a gown. And it's so pretty. All these crystals! It's something a queen would wear!"

"Your Mother was no less than a queen," Charles smiled tenderly.

"How did she get this, Papa?" Bella asked.

"Like I said, it was hers, Isabella."

"But, Papa, h..."

"Bella! Enough. You can ask questions later. Now go and see if it fits."

"Alright, Papa, but you will be answering some questions soon."

"All right, but not now. Now go."

Bella ran to her room to try on her mother's dress.

It was a perfect fit! She could not believe her mother had such a beautiful dress hidden in her chest. It felt so supple and soft on her; the crystals shined like diamonds. She smiled at her reflection in the mirror.

Bella knew all the answers, and now she also had a beautiful dress to wear for the ball. No was going to stop her from becoming Edward's bride.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you for reading. I love all your comments.

The next chapter won't take so long.

-stz