9. "Touch of Voodoo"

*Faith Ellis*

Odelyn Prescott was getting married and I was to be one of her bridesmaids. I'd first met her when I worked at Jet Set, a local clothing store, at the age of sixteen. Odelyn was the store manager and we'd struck up a friendship during my eight month tenure at the store.

Odelyn was getting married to Jasper Isle, who was a specialist doctor in town. The wedding was this weekend and I still needed to pick up the dress whose measurement I'd given in weeks ago.

When I walked into the boutique, I discussed the details of the dress with the receptionist, then roamed the store while I waited for someone to get it for me. As I walked deeper inside the shop, I ending up finding the bride herself.

Odelyn was characterized by dark skin, sleek black hair, and a prominent tatoo on her upper arm. Her highlighted lips broke into a smile when she spotted me from the stool she was stood on.

"Faith! So good to see you! Where had you disappeared to?"

"Hi!" She'd extended her arms forward and I leaned into a short hug. "I've just been busy with school. Sorry I couldn't catch up with the wedding plans. But I was going to call you today."

"Well, you caught me here," Odelyn remarked. "Are you picking up your dress?"

"Yeah," I said. "Someone's gone to get it."

"They already have," she indicated to something behind me.

A young woman stood holding up the dress Odelyn had selected for her bridesmaids. "Thanks," I told the blond as I took the hangar from her.

"Go try it on," Odelyn urged. "I want to see!"

I chuckled. "Yeah. Where can I try this on?" I asked the sales-girl.

"Follow me." The woman led me to a set of changing rooms. Thanking her, I walked through the first door.

I stripped out of the bottle green skirt and printed crop top I was wearing, then tugged on the bridesmaid's dress. It was a pale blue color with a sweetheart neckline and embellished straps. It wasn't something that I would normally wear, but I couldn't deny that it was a beautiful dress. Even though I looked odd to be wearing black flats against it.

I walked out of the dressing room, heading to where Odelyn was having her own gown fitted. I presumed it was last-minute adjustments.

Before I could greet her, she spotted me. "Oh, Faith. That looks so good on you! I'm going to have the bridal party from heaven!"

I laughed. "You made a good choice with the dress."

"Obviously, I did." Odelyn grinned. "Genius is my middle name."

"Isn't it Drew?" I teased and she sent me a dramatically annoyed look.

"Do you need any alterations to that?" It was the blond salesgirl who asked.

"No, thanks," I said. "It fits fine."

"Do you mind if I check anyway? Standard procedure."

I shook my head. "Of course not."

Over the next few minutes, the blond picked and prodded on me and the dress, checking for any problems. After she was done, I changed back into my own clothes, then headed to pay for the dress.

Odelyn was leaving at the same time as me. "Where are you off to now?"

I glanced at my watch - it was nearing six. "I think I'm going to grab some coffee, then head home. Want to join me?"