23. "What They Did To Pluto"

*Faith Ellis*

It felt like something had changed.

Actually, no. I had proof that the life I once knew had ceased to exist. Why else would the only clique that existed in our school be here to ask whether they could join us?

Dwayne lingered behind his friends but didn't seem annoyed. Although, I couldn't be sure. He wasn't looking at me.

Vaughn immediately spoke up to accept their request while Taylor was the first to shift her chair and make more room. Between the squeaking of chairs and helpful words from everyone, I barely noticed what was happening until I turned to find that Dwayne had ended up beside me.

"Hey." He smiled. "What's up?"

I cocked my head to a side. "You tell me. What's up with the sudden socializing?"

"Cam's idea." He sounded indifferent to my surprise.

"Oh. And you're okay with that?"

He reached for his burger without meeting my gaze. "I'm here, aren't I?"

I chuckled as he muttered the words. He was definitely not happy about this. "So, how did he convince you?" He didn't reply. "Come on, Dwayne. I know the school crowd isn't your favorite. So, spill."

Another moment passed before he said, "I told him what you said the other night - that everyone thinks I'm 'reclusive'. I meant it as a joke but Cam thinks I should allow more people to witness my delightful self."

I raised an eyebrow. "I bet he didn't use those words."

"It was implied," he said, shooting me a smile. I knew he was thinking about Friday night. Great. I now had inside jokes with Dwayne Bryant. Who would have thought we would reach this point in our lives?"

"Hey, Faith," Cameron called. "Don't listen to what he has to say. He's feeding you lies."

"You don't even know what I said." Dwayne sounded annoyed.

Cameron grinned. "But I know you."

Dwayne just rolled his eyes and turned back to me. "Ignore him long enough and he'll slip away."

"Hey! I take offense to that."

I was about to turn to Cameron but Dwayne said, "Do not engage, Faith. Trust me. He'll get bored eventually."

I considered his words, almost agreeing because of how earnest he sounded. But I was Faith Ellis and he was Dwayne Bryant and I simply could not listen to him.

I pulled my lips into a smirk before turning to Cameron, Dwayne groaning in frustration. "Don't worry, Cameron. I've learnt how to catch up with this one's lies."

A bright grin lit up Cameron's face. "I'm proud of you, Faith. You've both come so far."

It took a moment for his words to click before I realized what he'd said. He was right. Across a month's time, Dwayne Bryant had gone from the most infuriating person in my life to a good friend. Life worked in strange ways.

"Yeah," I murmured, instinctively turning to Dwayne who was staring right back at me. A strange look clouded his eyes. He seemed both attentive and faraway, the emotion intensified by his hooded eyes and the strange blue of his irises.

Someone nudged my arm, breaking the spell. I turned to find Taylor, looking smug. "One more moment," she whispered, "and you two could be making out. Now, I know you like your rational person rep, so I thought you should snap out of it."