2. "I'd Rather Do Algebra for the Rest of my Life"

2. "I'd Rather Do Algebra for the Rest of my Life."

*Faith Ellis*

"He actually apologized?" I asked my best friend in shock. "For real?"

"Uh-uh." Taylor nodded. "He was really sweet about it too. I mean, it was partly my fault as well, but he was genuine about the apology. And it helps that he is so hotI can't believe you sat onhis lap. Perfect opportunity for a little making o-" I can't believe you sat onhis lap. Perfect opportunity for a little making o-" I slapped her arm and she winced. "What was that for?"

"For still obsessing over that," I told her, annoyed. "There is nothing great about sitting on a guy's lap, alright?"

"But this is Dwayne Bryant we're talking about, Faith," Taylor said. "I don't think I've ever seen him so much as touch a girl before."

"Just because you don't see it doesn't mean he's not doing it." I stood up from the bed. "I'm going to get some water and you try not to get lost in disgusting fantasies."

"What disgusting fantasies?" she asked, pulling an innocent expression on her face.

I chuckled as I walked out of the room. Taylor was easily the most perverted person I knew. I had been friends with her for about five years. I had friends before Taylor, who I was still close with, but Taylor and I had a different connection.

She'd entered my life at a point when I was slowly succumbing to peer pressure, doing things out of my comfort zone and making a complete fool of myself.

I had been paired with Taylor for an English assignment and I annoyed her out of her mind. Taylor was a straight-A student while I had the potential for it. Except I had chosen to act dumb and make her do all the work. Faking ignorance wasn't easy, especially since I knew exactly how to do the work. Taylor saw right through me.

It had taken her a week of lecturing and another month of doing every single thing humanly possible to make me realize that being myself was the best thing I could ever be. But I still needed to figure out what 'being myself' exactly meant. It turned out that Taylor's mom was a children's psychologist and that was the reason Taylor and her brother had their life sorted out.

I wasn't sure I needed guidance from a psychologist, but Mrs. Brooks knew exactly how to help me. It wasn't long before Taylor and I had become the best of friends and life had improved considerably.

I left the kitchen, about to head back upstairs when I heard my mother call out my name. I turned around to see her walk out of the room. She was dressed in a blue wrap dress with light make-up on her lean face. Her brown hair, a few shades lighter than mine, was tied into a bun.

"Where are you going?" I asked.

"Pre-birthday dinner with the mayor's family," she answered. "You know the official bash is tomorrow. Don't make any other plans." 

"Alright," I said. "See you later." I sent her a wave and headed back to my room.

This was normal for my parents. With their active participation in the city council, they were close friends of the mayor. Both of them were known figures in the city too. My father was considered one of the best architects around while my mother had created a name for herself as a class interior designer. I could only hope to become as successful as them in life.

I entered my room and threw one of the bottles at Taylor. She caught it swiftly, beaming.

"How's the writing going?" I asked her, returning to the revolving chair near my study table.

"It's getting somewhere," Taylor answered, rolling her eyes. "I keep editing and re-editing every time I read through it. So I'm not proceeding any further."