10. "Let's Hate on Dwayne"

*Dwayne Bryant*

I attempted another basket, but failed. Again. Cameron hadn't said anything about it yet, but I knew it wouldn't be long until he did.

As if he'd read my mind, Cameron snatched the ball from my hand. He dribbled the ball as he jogged away before aiming for the square and throwing the ball right into the basket.

Cameron - 2. Dwayne - 0. Appalling. I was usually so much better than him at the game.

Cameron dribbled the ball around the court, ran to the other side and scored again. The cycle continued a few more times. I knew he was rubbing it in my face. I had made only one basket today, despite the fact that I'd been out here for hours.

Nate had already left for his date. For some reason, I didn't want to hear about it. We'd all come to Cam's place after school and when Nate began to prattle on about his date, I started to feel sick. So, I came out here instead. I might not have scored any baskets, but at least the exercise helped to release stress. Even though I was still feeling frustrated hours later.

Cam stopped his game of one and walked over to me. "Want me to do that again?"

"Do whatever you want," I said and began to walk away.

Cam was one step behind me. "Come on, Dwayne. Spill it out."

"Spill what out?"

"You think I haven't noticed how sour you've been all day?" He asked as we headed into the house.

"I'm allowed to have a day off," I argued.

"You didn't want to prank anyone," he said.

"Maybe you were right. Maybe we should stop."

Cam scoffed. "As if you would." I just shrugged, reaching for a soda from the fridge. "I saw you looking at Faith all through lunch." I froze and Cam rolled his eyes and shut the open fridge. "If Nate's date bothers you so much, you should've told him."

"Of course it doesn't bother me," I snapped and walked past him.

Cam followed me to the living room where Bryce was watching a movie. He glanced at us, then turned back to the screen.

"What's this?" I asked.

"Gatsby," he said distractedly.

A moment later, the screen went black. Bryce made a sound of protest.

"This one has a problem," Cam indicated to me and Bryce nodded.

"I don't have a problem," I stated.

"So, you didn't spend the last few hours failing to shoot hoops because Nate was raving about his date?" I didn't reply. "Come on, man. Stop being so stubborn about this. If you like her, just tell us."

"I don't like her!" I snapped. "She keeps punching for no fucking reason. Yesterday, she practically pulled my arm out of it's socket and then stamped hard on my foot. I hate her."

Cam rolled his eyes. "Sure. So why didn't you stay here when Nate started talking about her?"

"I don't like her, so I didn't want to hear him talk about her as if she's an angel."

"And you were staring at her at lunch."

"Killing her in my head."

Cam snorted. "And all the missed baskets?"

"Distracted by my murderous thoughts."

"So, how do you feel?"

"Great."