Chapter 3

July 31, 1999

"I do." I say.

"I do." Jill says as we look into each other's eyes.

"With the power invested in me by the state of Maine I now pronounce you husband and wife. Patrick you may now kiss your bride." Announces the priest as I take my wife into my arms kissing her with all my love and passion for her. The crowd erupts in cheers and applause as we kiss and make are way down the aisle as husband and wife for the first time.

----------

2 pm July 31, 2015

That was exactly 16 years ago to the day. That day was one of the best days of my life. I vowed to my wife that I would be there loving and honoring her until the end of time, but I never thought I would break those vows to her.

My wife still hasn't answered my pleas to get back together. I promised her I would give her all the time in the world but I didn't think it would take a month for her to think about it. I know I hurt her in ways she never deserved, but I want to start over repairing the love we have for each other. But I promised her that I would give her all the time she needs and that is what I am going to do.

-----------

10 pm July 31, 2015

I'm currently reading a book as there is a knock at my door. I go and open the door and I am met face to face with my wife. I can tell that she has been crying. I quickly let her inside before any nosey paparazzi take pictures. I lead her to the couch and I go and make her a cup of tea.

"Mint green tea just the way you like it." I say handing her the mug before I sit down next to her. I wait until she is ready to talk.

After a long fifteen minutes she speaks, "Umm there is something I want to tell you and I know you are probably going to freak out, but I need you to please just hear me out."

"Ok." I say in a worried voice.

"I umm met this guy about three months ago. He was really nice and he just sat there and listened to me as I told him why I was looking so down. After that night we started hanging out and eventually we started going on dates. But today I had been in a depressed state because of what today is. And today made me realize that he was not the man I'm supposed to be with. I also realized that I shouldn't have started dating until we got our divorce finalized but after today I realized that I can't live without you. When you came to me a month ago I thought you were going to tell me something completely different and just the night before I had sex with him and I just had so many emotions running through my head that I just needed to sit down and think. So today I went and broke up with him. And then drove to the cliff where you and I spent so much time together and just thought about this last year. And I now know an answer to your question. And that is yes, but I have conditions."

"Ok." I say trying to comprehend what she just told me.

"First I want us to go to marriage counseling. Second I want us to talk about everything. And lastly after this racing season I want you to take a break."

"I'm willing to do whatever it takes to get us back to where we were. And if that means going to marriage counseling which I really don't want to do but I'll do it and stepping back from racing I will absolutely honor your wishes."

She hands me an appointment card before saying, "be there and we can start this." She says before getting up and leaving.

I look down at the card after the door shuts and read,

Dr. Elizabeth Richards
Marriage Counseling for Celebrities
Appointment time: August 1, 2015 at 2:00 pm