Chapter 8: Rebellious South

South Carolina. The 8th state once lived a time when cash crops fueled her wealth and power. Thanks to her fertile land and ideal climate, she was able to grow lots of rice, cotton, indigo, and tobacco on her farms. By the 19th century, she was at her prime. She thought she was unstoppable until one bearded man threatened to change everything.

South Carolina was reliant on slaves to harvest her crops. When Abraham Lincoln, a Republican who supported the abolition of slaves, became a nominee for the presidency, she was outright furious. She threatened American and the states with secession if Lincoln were to become president. At first, no thought she was serious. A bluff, they said.

Welp... Here was what happened.

☆☆☆☆☆

"I can't believe it! This must be a mistake!" Caroline (South Carolina) kicked the wall, creating a hole with the heel of her shoe.

Carolyn (North Carolina) stood nearby, watching her twin make a violent fool out of herself. Sure, she wasn't on the best terms with her snobby sister. But she did understand her frustration and what she was going through. Unlike her, however, she was better at keeping her composure after she and Caroline got kicked out of the States Annual Meeting.

By kicked out, the two 'kindly' escorted themselves out of the room. If the meeting had taken place before the 1860 presidential election, things might've went smoothly without a problem. Caroline wouldn't have caused a ruckus at the table. Obviously, she wouldn't be the only one to complain, but she would be the first to say something. The arguments wouldn't have been fierce to the point Caroline said something offensive to force her outside. Then, Carolyn wouldn't have to follow her outside. If the meeting happened before the election, the sisters would've stayed in the room. Unfortunately, that didn't happen.

The Carolinas were forced to wait outside the room, waiting until the break when they would be allowed back for the second half of the meeting. But for one sister, they had yet to calm their head since the meeting started.

"I don't see why you're here with me," Caroline grumbled as she glared at her sibling.

Carolyn ignored her comment. "You're not the only one you know."

She gritted her teeth. "Then, why didn't anyone support me when I was speaking up for them?" She kicked another hole into the wall.

In Caroline's opinion, this whole meeting was pointless. She wasn't allowed to speak, nor did she or the Southern states have the power to recount the votes. There was nothing she could do. Those Northern bastards planned all this time to overthrow her and her way of life. They manipulated the people, they lied to them, they made her look like an evil lord of the South. In reality, they were just jealous of her.

They were jealous how much power she had in government, how much money she had, and how much of an influence she had over them. They didn't feel that way a hundred years ago. In fact, they were happy she was doing so well, providing them their precious cotton for clothes, their precious rice to eat, and their precious tobacco to smoke... Such hypocrites! They would've been starving, naked coyotes without her help! How dare they threaten to put an end to everything she had worked so hard to build!

They were going to ruin her. They were going to strip her of her rights. They were going to strip her of her control. They were going to strip her of anything they believed was against their beliefs. They hoped by voting for some bearded scumbag from Illinois, they thought they could shut her up.

Think again!

Never in her damn life was she going to let them do what they damned please! She told them she would leave if that Northern bastard won the election. She was serious when she told them she would secede if they voted for him. Apparently, they didn't think she was serious. Well, guess what? She was damn serious!