Chapter 45: The 2002 Winter Olympics

Utah. The 45th state is mainly known for Mormons. Compared to the rest of America, Utah is a strange state whose historic and cultural foundations revolve around a religion, specifically Mormonism. Whenever anyone outside the states travels or passes through Utah, they'll most likely get a sense of the religion in some form.

As a result, Utahans have tried to make their presence more known outside the religion, usually by promoting their tourism. Miraculously, they were able to get some fame thanks to their bid to host the Winter Olympics in 2002 in Salt Lake City. Having failed previous times to win the bid, Utah finally got the chance to shine in the international spotlight. More than excited, it was a dream come true in his eyes.

☆☆☆☆☆

"And the next city... To host the 2002 Winter Olympic Games... Goes to... Salt Lake City, United States!" he announced, followed by a wave of applause.

I couldn't believe it! The moment the announcer said those words, I jumped out of my chair and told my neighbors the news. After making countless failed bids, I can finally host the Winter Olympic Games. Oh, boy! Oh, boy! I have so much work to do. I asked New York and California to help me with the planning. After all, they, too, hosted the Winter Olympics themselves. With their help, I'm sure everything will turn out well.

"It should be a star cuz America!" Cali argued.

"No! No! A star is a bad idea! Especially coming from you!" York accused.

"What do you mean by that?"

"You and the hippies drew the most hideous star I've ever seen! The countries thought the logo was drawn up by dumb kindergartners."

"It was in vogue!"

The two states duked it out in front of the whiteboard. I awkwardly watched from my chair at the back of the wooden table that took up most of the room.

"Guys... Maybe I can hel-"

"How about a mountain?" York drew a triangle on the whiteboard.

Before he could draw any further, Cali pushed him aside. "Really? A mountain? How original." She wiped away the triangle with a board eraser.

"Hey!"

"Now! Let a designer like me do the work."

The two continued to bicker. I couldn't help but watch, already overwhelmed by their insistence to make the Winter Olympics a success. Maybe asking for their help wasn't such a good idea after all.

"What is that?" York gave Cali a funny look.

"It's the Olympic rings, you dumb goof!" she huffed.

"Looks more like a chain of onion rings."

"You look like a chain of onion rings."

"H-Hey!" I raised my voice.

The two turned their heads and gave me deadly daggers. Their icy blue eyes made my skin burn. I shrank away, intimidated by their glares. But then, a light bulb popped up in my head.

"Uh, what is it, Utah?" York questioned, slightly paranoid.

"Light the fire within," I uttered with a twinkle in my eye.

Cali cocked her head perplexed. "Huh?"

I nodded excitedly. "Fire and ice. That will be my theme for the Winter Olympics."

Cali and York took a moment to grasp the idea. They seemed to agree, nodding their heads together in agreement.

"Yeah... Sounds pretty cool," he mumbled.