Chapter 18: Purchased and Sold

Louisiana. The 18th state was born around the same time as the Original Thirteen only she was cared for a time between France and Spain. Around the start of the 19th century, France was able to get Louisiana back from Spain due to a secret treaty between the two countries. By then, France's boss, Napoleon Bonaparte, had named himself emperor. He planned on using New Orleans, an essential port around the mouth of the Mississippi River, as an essential port for the Caribbean's sugar cane plantations. Unfortunately, he was forced to give up those plans.

In the aftermath of the Haitian Revolution, New Orleans was made useless now that France's sugar plantations in Haiti aren't his anymore. To make matters worse, France was getting into an inevitable war with England while Spain was beginning to have second thoughts on transferring Louisiana back to him. In the end, France was forced into a difficult decision.

He scrapped his plans of a New World Empire. Out of spite toward Spain, France sold not only New Orleans, but also the ENTIRE Louisiana Territory to America for about $15 million at the time. It was an insane deal that doubled the size of the United States. To Louisiana, however, it was the biggest betrayal she ever witnessed.

☆☆☆☆☆

"WHAT?! How could you?!"

Louisiana was in complete denial to what he said.

France tugged at his shirt collar in an extremely nervous manner, knowing full well his plan to have a calm conversation with his colony wasn't going to be as calm as he would like it to be. He probably told her too soon during supper time, a time when Louise was busy in the kitchen. She was in the middle of chopping slabs of pork with a large, butcher knife. Now aware of the truth, France is going to have to be particularly careful with his words.

True, this wasn't entirely his fault. Still, he was guilty for lying to her. For a long time, he raised the dark-skinned girl, teaching her many things such as honesty, charity, and love. Never would he thought he would betray such principles. Sure, he can be careless and selfish at times. But when it came to his colonies, he swore to take good care of them. At least, to the best of his abilities. Pardon, Canada...

But this was different. She was different.

For a long time, Louise was always aware of her position in the world. In this game of politics, she was always a pawn in their game called Colonization. She hated it. Yet, there was nothing she could do about it. Her role as a colony meant she was weak compared to her colonizer. Even then, she would always prove them wrong, using her voice and wits to show she's someone to be taken seriously. Yet, what France said proves she's no better than a tool to be used at their whim, then get tossed aside once proven to be of little use to them.

For that, she had enough with their bullshit.

France tried to reason with her temper. "Mon cherie (My dear)! It was not my idea! It was my boss's! Believe me! Eeek!" He gave a squeal when a large, metal ladle flew over his head.

"You promised, France! No more of this crap! I refuse to accept this!" She stomped toward him, waving her butcher knife like a madman.

With the tip of the knife at his stubbly chin, his forehead began to sweat. "Je suis désolé (I'm sorry), Louise! But I'm telling the truth." France ran around the island counter, doing his best to avoid the knife.

Louise furiously shook her head. "Tell that pompous shrimp I won't allow it! This is unacceptable!" she yelled with a fiery passion. "It said so in the treaty! After my time with Spain is up, I'll be given back to you. Screw this America person! No more back and forth trade offs! No more of these ridiculous treaties! I demand you slap the stupidity out of that short fucker until he changes his mind about this absurd deal!"