The Clan Part I

(AN: Second chapter here, I hope y'all like it :D I would like to thank bookee_obsessed for the great suggestions she gave me, so here it is and it's dedicated to her! :D Oh also if you notice any grammatical errors please point them out in the comment section below!)

Mercedes leaned into my face and spoke four words that forever changed my life, "I am a Shifter."

I really cannot explain the emotions that crossed my face when she said that. I’m sure I looked confused and frightened, but I wasn’t frightened of her. I was frightened because if something supernatural that I had believed in was real, that could mean that everything else was real too… I didn’t know anyone else that would be able to accept it. “Why are you telling me this?” I asked her quietly.

She smiled shrewdly and put a hand on my shoulder. “I’ve heard the rumors about you… I’ve… seen you when you go on your little nighttime walks. You believe in things that most people would find to be silly. You see, my family is ancient; stretching back through thousands of years. Our kind has been displayed to humans many times, but most cannot understand us, so they pretend we don’t exist. You are one of the few that truly believe we walk the earth. I feel that you would come to find this out regardless of me telling you. There are things you don’t know about us. You will not hear them from me though. You have to come with us tonight.”

I pulled away from her, she was mad! I felt like I was trapped in some nightmare dimension where everything I had once stood up for, and made myself a pariah for, was real. I wished that I had never said anything or done anything to put myself apart from other people. I had never wanted to get involved in this world; I only wanted to know that I was right; that they were real. Now I was standing in a bathroom in my high school with a girl that claimed to be a Shifter… I wasn’t quite sure what being a Shifter entailed. Normally in books Shifters were shape-shifting people, I had no idea about what they would be like in real life, but I knew it was something I wasn’t meant to be let in on.

“Look I appreciate the sentiment but I am not in the mood for jokes and I have to get to class.” I tried to get to the door and leave but she caught my arm and turned me to face her.

“You know I’m telling you the truth. Don’t kid yourself. You know there is something strange about my brother and I. You can feel it. You have a talent for it. You’ve seen other things too, am I wrong?” She cocked her head to the side questioning me.

I shook my head vigorously, “No! I don’t see anything… I… I don’t know what you’re talking about.”

“You cannot lie to me Tellie. I can feel your fear coursing through you. I can feel the tightening of your muscles. You know I’m right.” She hissed.

She walked towards me until she had me backed into the corner of the bathroom. “You will come with us tonight and you will listen to what I have to say.” She was staring at me so harshly that I was afraid my face would crack under her glare.

Someone came into the bathroom then and she pulled back from me. The girl looked at us strangely and I forced a weak smile. Mercedes turned back to me when the girl entered a stall. She looped her arm through mine and put her mouth close to my ear. “Let’s go to lunch and if you try to make a scene I’ll snap your neck so fast that you won’t have time look shocked.”

She led me out of the bathroom and down the hall past the eyes of my curious classmates; who were all heading to lunch as well. I saw Maile and Kassie among them and I looked at them helplessly. They looked like they were excited; probably encouraging me to get information on the new kids.

Since my school was not fairly large we all had a group lunch. When we entered Mercedes led me to a far corner of the large lunchroom and told me to sit at a table. I put my bag under the chair and sat down.