The Curse

A small table light lit Dylan's figure, strapped to a bed. Saturated with sweat, the sheets formed to his body. Soft groans and clicking sounds squealed from the boy while he pulled against the straps. Distress was evident on his face.  

This demon fought impudently for Dylan's soul. It was prudent that I keep my wits. I took a step back from the bed to collect my thoughts.  

My family weighed heavy on my mind, and this demon used all of my sins against me. I took a deep breath to clear my mind.  

The white robes I wore were stained with sweat. They displayed multiple confrontations with the demon. My white knuckles clutched the bible as I stared intensely at its words. They blurred as I wiped the perspiration from my brow, preparing myself for the next battle. 

Refocused, I stepped towards Dylan.  

"This boy is not yours to keep demon, I cast you out in the name of the almighty God, and of our savor Jesus Christ!" I  

He smiled and suddenly lunged against his restraints. The bed screeched against the hard wood floor and smashed back against the wall.  

"You won't intimidate me demon!" I said standing poised with the cross out stretched in his hand.  

Ear-Piercing laughter split through the tense room as Dylan craned his neck. The cracking bone filled my ears.

"Enough," I yelled and splashed holy water over the boys head. Dylan's body contorted and pulled against the restraints. The bed once again crashed against the wall.  

"Damn your God priest. It will take much more than water to defeat me. Pray for your soul."  

A knock sounded at the door.  

"Scott, are you ok?" It was Deacon Dave McPherson.  

"Yes I'm fine. Just give me another minute!"  

Exhausted, I starred at the demonic boy. His eyes locked with mine and a greedy-grin crossed his face.  

"Don't worry Scott, just give me another minute and I'll pay a visit to your lovely little Samantha." 

Immediately I lunged towards the boy, losing all control. My screaming was drowned by the shouting of Dave along with the boy's evil laughter.  

It took him a good minute but Dave was able to get me out into the hall.  

"What happened?" He asked. 

I starred at the Deacon for a moment.  

"Just lost all control, the demon threatened Samantha. I am going to call home to make sure everything is alright!" I turned to make my way down the hall. 

The door to Dylan's room was still open. The boy was quite as I made my way past his bedroom. Halfway towards the kitchen a deep voice I hadn't heard yet thundered from the room. 

"The stench of your fear and sins stain your soul. You can't hide any secrets from me priest. There is no forgiveness for a murderer; your family is forever cursed!"

***

A loud set of beeps shrieked from the radio as I sat on the porch swing with my feet perched on the railing. It confirmed what I saw in the sky, a severe weather alert.  

A deep recorded voice overtook the rhythmic beeps. "Attention Jefferson County, Douglas County, and Johnson County: A severe thunderstorm and tornado warning has been issued for your areas." My eyes scanned the skies again. The clouds were riddled with glowing colors of red, pink, and orange.  

Amazed, I watched as distant lighting scattered, pulsing through the skies. A low grumble of thunder, echoed over the plains. Dark gray-green clouds were beginning to blot out the sun. 

"Sam," my mother yelled from within the house. "We need to eat dinner and make supplies; the weather-man said this storm could be the worst one of the summer."  

Whatever! I thought to myself, she said this about each storm we have had this year. She is being over protective as usual; it was starting to get on my last nerve.  

Moving into the house, the shutter door slammed behind me from the force of the wind. My heart jumped as I emitted a soft yelp. 

"What time are Tiffany and Lizzy arriving?" Mom asked. "I don't want them driving in the storm and you girls will be staying in tonight."  

She had that tone, as if we didn't understand the dangers or how to protect ourselves. Ever since my father died, her paranoia has ruined my life. 

Heart still pounding from the slamming door, I gasped an answer,

Dinner was made of slow cooked potatoes, green beans and pan seared chicken breasts. My mom's health kick was just as strict as her new rules for me these days. Her curfew and homework schedule left little time for my friends anymore.  

"Sam, please clear off the table."  

"Alright," I said pushing a pile of math papers inside my algebra book. I flung the book into my bag straddling the chair sending it crashing to the floor. Mother turned just as the papers and books skid across the kitchen. 

"Way to go, Samantha," she hissed... 

"I'm Sorry," I said, shuffling over to pick up the mess as my mother bent down to help.  

"What in God's name is this?" she shrieked, pushing a book into my face. I had forgotten I'd left it in my bag, to show the girls. 

"I um, well... It's just a bit of reading material." I struggled to get the words out. "It's a research project for Mr. Henson's English Lit class," I said. 

"Well, I don't know how they can teach this in school, maybe I need to have a chat with Mr. Henson." She tossed the book on the table and turned back to the stove. 

The cover glared at me. Witchcraft, Demons and Angles: A direct guide to the Diabolical.