The Beckoning of Diablo

Mom's eyes now focused on me; she could tell I had slipped into a daze. Snapping back to reality I needed to clear things up before Tiffany and Lizzy arrived.

"Mom, I promise I am not doing witchcraft and even if I was, don't you think I would be a little bit more Emo?" I said sarcastically. She laughed and looked over her wine glass at me. "Sam you are my world and since your father's death, I will do anything to protect you," she said, taking another sip.

"I know but sometimes you just need to trust me!" I exclaimed.

The doorbell rang; Lizzy and Tiffany were standing outside, their umbrellas sheltering them from the downpour of rain. Approaching the door I sighed, "Perfect timing as always ladies."

Tiffany and Lizzy shook off the water from their ponchos and kicked off their shoes. They each gave me big hug; it's a tradition now. Each weekend we stayed up all night, watched movies, talked and enjoyed our last year together before heading off to college.

Tiffany is tall and athletic. We were envious of her perfect long dark hair. She could easily play for the football team if she ever wanted to. However, she decided volleyball would be better suited for her feistiness with other girls and opportunities with the boys.

Lizzy on the other hand is complete opposite. Petite, blonde and pretty much a genius, study groups always consisted of copying her homework. She never really fit the stereo type of the "Dumb Blonde". Definitely the most skeptic of our group and surprisingly had the worst luck with the boys.

I think "good girls" always go after the "bad boys". It is almost as if it balances them out. But, on the other hand it made our little clique, surprising workable.

For myself, well I am average height, skinny and as mother would say, "Too skinny". My hair is dirty blonde, I barely make honors as I concentrate more on running track for our school team. Nothing special, although I do win a few meets here and there. Really, I use it as an escape; it is my self- motivation.

As for the boys, well I am seen as the mystery girl. Everyone in our town paid their condolences after father's death but felt weird on actually approaching any serious relationship. I guess the whole "baggage" thing is hard for teenage boys to adopt.

"So how about this storm?" Tiffany asked awkwardly. Breaking the silence and bringing back to reality.

"Glad you still let us come over Mrs. Rosenman," Lizzy said. She is always the "brown nose" of our group.

"Lizzy Dear, please don't call me Mrs. Rosenman. Marian will do," mom said in her sweet tone as she cleared the table. "So what do you girls have planned tonight? More gossip and movies I suppose?" she said laughing. "Oh, to be your age again," mumbling as she continued to wipe down the counters.

"Mom, we are heading to my room," motioning for Tiffany and Lizzy to follow suit.

Tiffany and Lizzy grabbed their bags and made their way towards the living room. A sudden boom of thunder shook the house! Instantaneously every light went out. A dis crashed to the floor, making all of us scream. The thunder caught mother off guard.

"Damnit," she muttered. "You gals wait here; I'll go grab some candles." We could hear mother shuffle past us and enter into the living room.

Lighting flashed through the windows briefly lighting up the kitchen. The thunder still echoed through the house. The storm must be in full force. We were left standing in utter darkness; the only sound audible is Tiffany shuffling through her pockets. Finally finding her phone a bright blue light lit a little section of the kitchen. I could make out the shadowed faces of Tiff and Lizzy.