#7 - The past

Yamato Yawazaki POV

[Seven years ago]

I was hopping on the slippery rocks to pass through the river along with Aoi. I told her to stay behind since I was just doing this for fun but she insisted on coming with me and now she can't even hop her other foot to the next rock. "Yamato-kun~ save me.." She was crying in fear. I only sighed, "I told you to stay there didn't I?" I shouted at her.

"I told you wherever I go I'd go with you! it will be your fault if I slip!" She's over dramatic, the water's not that deep. "Fine I'd go back with you just hang on." I hopped again to the previous rocks I just pass by. She suddenly slipped on her own as I grab her hand and also slipped with her.. The water soaked us wet as we looked at each other while laughing. "Hahaha! You're so clumsy!" I laughed.

"You look stupid too, hahaha!" She also laughed. We splashed each other as we got carried away until Saito-san came to pick us up.

When I stepped inside our home, mom as usual was at home surprising me with her fresh baked cookies. "My son is here!" Mom tickled me around the body. "Mom stop it! I mean it! I'm serious!" I shouted, but I couldn't stop laughing.

"So let me hear it. How was school today?" She asked.

"Nothing special, I only hang out with Aoi." I said.

"Oh? have you made any new friends?" Mom asks. "I mean, not just Aoi of course." she added.

"hmm.. no one."

To be honest, hanging out with only Aoi is quite boring, it's not like I'm disappointed that she's my only friend but it would be great to be friends with kids around my age "No one? that's absurd, I thought you're good at making friends." Mom said.

"I-I am.. "

"Okay, as long as you pick your friends carefully." Mom said with a smile. "Why don't you try the cookies I made?" She added.

"I'm home!" Dad stepped inside, with a couple of sweets in his hands. "Wa? no fair I thought I made myself clear that I should be the first one to taste what mom bakes for us?" Dad added.

"Don't be ridiculous, I made these for our son not for you." They both hugged each other and started to flirt. I stick out my tongue as I teased them both, "Jeez~ get a room!" We all laughed after what I said.

mum is just a housewife because of her weak body, she can't handle being at work so Dad decided he'll take care of our finances as long as she take care of the house and me. I must be the luckiest son to have a parents as sweet as them. They rarely got into a fight, even if they did, they'll make up for it with just a little peck in the cheeks and all problems would be solved.

A week later, Aoi and I are on our way to school Saito-san can't drive us this morning since I told Aoi that it's better to walk to school in the morning and then Saito-san will pick us up at dismissal. Aoi asked her father for that simple request, good thing her father trust me enough to walk with her. "I don't understand why you wanted to walk, it's tiring."

"It is required for our age to walk.. and besides you could have let Saito-san drive you to school instead of coming with me. I don't understand why you love hanging around with me." I said. She pouted and said, "I just wanted to be with you.. that's all." She said. "Why? I'm a boy, you should hang out with a couple of girls too." I said.

"You sound like you don't want to hang around with me anymore." She said.

"No-no it's not like that—" I denied.

"Well- I'm fine if you don't want to be friends anymore." She grab my arm. "That way we can be more than friends." I was surprised by her words that I became embarrassed when she was holding my arm.