Foreword

My name - my name is Elizabeth. Elizabeth Harriet Watson. If you are reading or hearing this, I may already be dead. But this is my story. My life story. Please, listen closely. Because I - I think I am going to die.

Because the fate of Britain, and possibly the world, is on the shoulders of three people. Scarlet, my best friend, Sherlock, my uncle's flatmate, and me. The fate of our world is on us. We are some of the smartest people on this planet.

It is on us alone, because a certain man is after us. I don't know why he wants me, I don't know how he knows about me, and I don't know where he is. But I do know one thing. His name.

James. James Moriarty.

If you ever hear that name, run. Run, run like all of hell is after you.

Because it is.

If he gets his hands on you... He can make you do things. He can make you jump off a building. He can kill you, drive you insane, make you kill yourself. So, never even glance behind. Always be prepared. Because when he wants something, he gets it. And you don't want him to want you.

Welcome to the world, the world behind the door of 221b Baker Street.

Welcome to the world of the universe's only Consulting Detective.

Welcome to the world of Sherlock Holmes.

There's no going back, so, if you don't want to die, to hear about death, then close the book, stop the recording. I'm warning you. Okay? Let's begin, at the very beginning. How Scarlet Holmes lost her mother, how I lost my parents. I'm telling you only once more. Close this if you don't want to be involved in the mess my life is.

Let's begin.

*****

Look, I didn't want to be the way I am. Insane. Slightly. So smart I can tell what other people are thinking, where they live, how long they have to live. Solving murders and almost getting killed myself. I ended up at 221b Baker Street when I was eleven, suffering from a bullet wound to my back. That was two years ago. I'm telling you how, and of the story of my best acquaintance.

There's no going back once you've begun.