Learning and Leaping

"Madame Pomfrey," Remus called out. It was six in the morning, he just turned human again, he was tired and he was hungry.

"Coming Remus! Just sit down on the bed!" She responded. He shuffled over to his bed, the same one he'd used every month, of every year, that he'd been at Hogwarts. He basically collapsed into bed when he reached it. He had just let his eyes flutter closed when he heard something. A human something. A female human something. A tired female human something. A tired female human Artemis something.

Artemis.

Artemis.

Artemis?!

"Artemis?!" Remus shouted in surprise.

"Remus?" She asked sleepily.

"Artemis, what are you doing here?" He asked her slowly.

"Just waiting."

"For what?"

"Not what. Who."

"Who were you waiting for?"

"You of course! Silly silly boy."

"Why were you waiting for me?"

"I wanted to make sure you were feeling better. Mum told me about how terrible it is."

"How terrible what is?"

"Being a werewolf! I thought you were smarter than that Rem." Artemis smiled a small, sleepy smile. Remus's eyes widened and his jaw dropped.

"Artemis, how are you feeling?" He asked cautiously.

"Never better I suppose," Artemis laughed. Right before she passed out.

****

"Art? Art can you hear me?" A voice asked, pulling Artemis from her slumber. Her eyes fluttered open and saw a face looking down at her.

"Remus?" She asked sleepily.

"Hey Art," he smiled at her.

"What happened," she mumbled and sat up.

"Um, do you remember anything from last night?" He asked her.

"Sort of. It's kind of fuzzy... I remember coming back after I left the wing and talking to Poppy. She had lied to me about her whereabouts. I was running over every detail of what had been going on when I realized something. Oh, what was it!" Artemis said. She looked deep in thought for a minute when her head shot up.

"Art?" Remus asked cautiously.

"Oh Remus, why?" She said sadly and pulled him into a hug.

"Artemis," he breathed.

"I'm sorry. I am so, so, sorry," she tightened her grip on him.

"I wish I could have told you," he told her.

"It's okay Rem. You're okay," she responded.

"It's so hard," he shuddered.

"I know. Everything will be fine," she soothed him, hot tears dripping down her cheeks.

"Why me!" He cried painfully, burying his head in her shoulder.

"I don't know Rem, but you don't deserve this." She rubbed his back as he continued to cry. "You know what they say don't you? Bad things always seem to happen to good people. It's just life's way of messing stuff up."

"I just don't know how much longer I can do this."

"Well, I'm sorry to say this but you'll have to do it until they invent a cure, because I'm not losing you," she told him.