When we first Met

I was still a young femme when I met Orion. I was his other mother. I saw him whilst I was at the park, watching the sparklings. My own sparkling had died, and the wound was still fresh.

I still loved them, though. Orion was with his carrier, who was clearly drunk. She tugged him toward a slightly tumbledown housing unit, slapping his face if he resisted.

I felt my anger swell in a fiery dance, and felt it collapse as I saw him slip away. He ran into an ally, whilst his carrier rolled her optics and stumbled home.

I followed the scuffed little mech, finding him behind a disposal chute. Despite the bright parade going on, the corner seemed shrouded in black sorrow. He was trying to save a cyber kitten from dying, despite its last breath just leaving it. I felt tears.

"Sweetie? Are you alright? Come on, pet, he's gone." Orion turned, his face still bruised, with tear stains. He hiccuped and held out the limp form. His face was still hopeful, despite the circumstance.
He spoke in quivering soft tones.

"He wasn't supposed to die yet. Why did he leave?" I couldn't help myself. I scooped him into a hug, and forced him to put the cyber kitten down. I led him to my housing unit, where I sat him on my lap, letting him cry.

He didn't stop, his tears falling on my chassis. I offered him some warm energon, along with some sweet copper. Copper is good for shock and sorrow. I spoke softly.

"Pet? Come on, you need to get home." He shook his head, fear in his optics. I told him the words I frequently told myself.

"Without sorrow, there is no happiness, and without fear, there is no courage." He nodded, but seemed confused. That was when I offered him asylum whenever he needed it. I hardly knew what he he meant by 'I was the best bot he's ever met'. There are far better bots than me. He waved as he walked homeward. I shouted after him.

"Remember! Without fear, there is no courage!" I didn't know how much it meant to him.

Eons later~

Smiling sadly, I bid farewell to Orion. I was an old bot, fifty millennia in fact. I was dying from the cyber plague. Orion held my servo, begging me to stay. All I could say was,

"Without fear... There is... No courage..."

I saw the face of Orion for the last time.