five ; the arrival of the french

The Burrow, stuffed to the brim with the large group of Weasleys and their counterparts and the Order, bustled with familiar life that was much too agonizing for Diana. It scared her how happy this place made her, with the odd assortment of magical objects and the constant noise of friendly chatter. The Burrow in itself was her safe haven, which seemed to make it all too painful to bear. She would be leaving soon, with Harry and Hermione and Ron, and the chances of her seeing this dwelling once more were slimmer with each day that passed.

Ginny had long fallen asleep by now. Diana and Hermione sat on the former's bed with their legs crossed, their backs against the wall. Diana held a mirror in front of them both, their darkened faces reflecting back at them.

"Harry Potter, Harry Potter, Harry Potter."

In moments, the face of Harry Potter appeared in the mirror, his face shadowed from the darkness of his room. These were Communication Mirrors, given to Diana to distribute to the other three by Dumbledore.

"Ron," they heard him whisper, and in moments, a flash of orange hair was now in view, and the two boys peered at the two girls through the mirror.

"You have to stay quiet," Diana whispered, glancing at the sleeping figure in the bed on the adjacent wall. "Ginny's asleep."

"Look," said Hermione, "I think we need to decide where we're going after we leave here."

"I told you--"

"Harry, I will say this only once more: we are coming with you, and that is final," hissed Hermione. "Now, as I was saying, we need to decide soon."

"Can't we do this later?"

"Stop whining, Ronald!" Hermione hissed again. "Now, as I was saying, we need to decide! Harry, I know you said you wanted to go to Godric's Hollow first, and I understand why, but. . .well. . . shouldn't we make the Horcruxes our priority?"

"If we knew where any of the Horcruxes were, I'd agree with you," he said.

"Don't you think there's a possibility that Voldemort's keeping a watch on Godric's Hollow? He might expect you to go back and visit your parents' graves once you're free to go wherever you like?"

"The fact of the matter," said Diana, "is that he will undoubtedly be keeping a watch on any place that it is likely we will go. He will not spare any resources to find us. Nowhere we go will be safe."

"That's true," Hermione concurred.

"And this R.A.B person," added Harry, "you know, the one who stole the real locket?"

They nodded.

"He said in his note he was going to destroy it, didn't he?"

Harry's image in the mirror shuffled, and he pulled the replicate locket into view and pulled the note from inside.

"'I have stolen the real Horcrux and intend to destroy it as soon as I can.'"

I have stolen the real Horcrux.

I intend to destroy it.

Like remembering an old friend from childhood, these words rang in her mind like church bells. She could nearly taste the familiarity, the way the words were so real in her mind, the way they gnawed at the back of her head like an itch she just couldn't scratch.

"Well, what if he did finish it off?" asked Ron, pulling her from her thoughts.

"Or she," interjected Hermione and Diana at once.

"Whichever," said Ron, "it'd be one less for us to do!"

"We can't assume," said Diana. "We'll still have to find the real one to be thorough."

The sun rose through the window, and the house sprang to life with footsteps and movement. The moment Mrs. Weasley was awake, they were all immediately ordered to sort wedding presents.

The Delacours arrived that morning at eleven o'clock. All resident teenagers had been ordered to look presentable by a frazzled Mrs. Weasley, and everyone's resentment had grown for the family who would be arriving shortly.

"I don't even understand," grumbled Ron. "Why do we have to look presentable? This is our own home!"

"They're a respectable family," replied Hermione as they all trudged down the stairs. Hermione and Ron led the way, as Harry, Diana, and Ginny followed. "It isn't a ridiculous request to look decent."

"Respectable family my arse," mumbled Ron. Hermione rolled her eyes, and the others laughed.

They entered the kitchen as a glaring mess, eyeing the spotless pots and gleaming floors. Their muddy shoes that were usually placed near the door were gone, and the surfaces shined in the light streaming from the grimeless window. It was almost disheartening. Part of the charm for Diana was the way it looked utterly lived in.

Due to the copious protective enchantments, Mr. Weasley had gone to meet the Delacours at the top of the hill. They all accepted a cup of tea and sipped as they watched four figures descend from the hill and then into the yard, where Mr. Weasley's hair stood out against the other three heads of beautiful silver-blonde hair. Their luggage followed them, and soon the four people and large trunks were entering the gate.

"Maman!" said Fleur the moment she appeared at the bottom of the stairs. "Papa!"

She hustled to the door and opened it, hugging her parents and what appeared to be her little sister. They all streamed inside as Mr. Weasley waved his wand, and the luggage disappeared. "I just put it in your room for safekeeping," he explained.

The beautiful family of four stood together, smiles evident on their flawless faces and eyes roaming around the oddly enchanting house.

"I'd like you to meet my children, Ron and Ginny," said Mrs. Weasley brightly. "And this is Harry, Hermione, and Diana."

"Ah, very nice to meet you," said Mr. Delacour. "Zis is my wife, Apolline, and my daughter, Gabrielle!"

They all greeted each other, exchanging pleasant smiles and kind 'hello's.

"Diana, is eet?" said Apolline as they exchanged quick kisses on the cheeks. "You're such a beautiful girl! Have we met? You look very familiar!"

Diana's smile tightened ever so slightly, though her smile remained. "Thank you, but I'm sure you're mistaken."

"Diana, like zee mighty Roman huntress! What is your last name?" asked Mr. Delacour.

"Beauregard," she said, her eyes glancing toward Mrs. Weasley who looked panicked.

"Ah, Français!" said Monsieur Delacour. "Do you have French family?"

Diana's eyebrow twitched.

"I wouldn't know," she said. "I never knew my parents, much less my extended family."

From then on, the Delacours did not mention her family again.

this is very short, I know, but I promise I will get the next chapter up very soon. i'd just like to say how freaking happy i am because 'ruins' is nearly at 80 thousand reads. I have such a huge smile on my face. When i began writing, i never dreamed it would get the positive response it has, and it just makes me so happy that you guys continue to stay with me even after all this time. i love you guys! xx