six ; the will of albus dumbledore

At precisely nine o'clock in the morning, the three vibrant girls padded down the stairs quietly all the way to Ron's door. Ron and Harry were rudely awakened by the joyful yells of Hermione, Ginny, and Diana singing a rather out-of-tune rendition of 'Happy Birthday.' They each gave Harry his present, and Diana handed him hers last.

Written in wicked scrawl on a small, white card was this:

To brighten dark days.

And much to Harry's surprise, he pulled a hideous pair of bright red boxers out of the bag, adorned with golden Snitches that lit up at night. For the rest of the festive day, they didn't stop laughing.

++

In the evening, they all helped conjure a large table outside lined with seats. They set the table using magic, much to Harry's joy, and they watched Mrs. Weasley bustle around the kitchen with a frazzled expression as she prepared dinner for the birthday feast. They decorated the trees and plants with magical streamers and they changed the color of the cloth to a Gryffindor crimson, just in time for the Delacours to stream outside and for a large figure to step through the enchantments, aided by Mrs. Weasley.

"Happy Birthday, Harry!"

Hagrid, dressed in his finest furry brown suit, bounded across the yard toward the boy. He enveloped him in a bone-crushing hug.

"Seventeen, eh?" said Hagrid, accepting a bucket-sized cup of wine. "Six years ter the day since we met, Harry, d'you remember it?"

Next, Lupin and Tonks arrived. Tonks looked bright and ecstatic, but Remus looked uncomfortable and fidgety. Charlie strode into the yard from the house, with Bill and Fleur close behind. Mrs. Weasley would periodically flick her eyes to the gate, where she was anticipating Arthur's arrival.

There was a streak of silver light.

"The Minister is coming with me."

The Patronus faded, and there was a moment of apprehensive silence. Fleur's family watched the spot where it had faded in astonishment.

"We shouldn't be here," said Lupin at once, seizing Tonks' hand. "I'm sorry--I'l explain another time--"

He pulled her away, all the way to the fence and through the gate and vanished immediately from sight. Just in time, too, because at the very same moment, two figures appeared just outside of the barrier. Arthur Weasley and Rufus Scrimgeour strode across the yard to the table. The latter looked old and worn, his face lined and his eyes dull

"Sorry to intrude," said Scrimgeour the moment Diana decided he was intruding. "Especially as I can see that I am gatecrashing a party."

His eyes lingered on the giant Snitch cake.

"Many happy returns."

"Thanks," said Harry. The coolness in his voiced was even noticed by the oblivious Delacours, and they watched with wide eyes.

"I require a private word with you," said Scrimgeour. "Also with Mr. Ronald Weasley, Miss Hermione Granger, and Miss Diana--Beauregard, is it? Isn't that what you're calling yourself these days?"

"Has a much nicer ring to it, though, doesn't it?" she retorted, her eyes narrowed and her shoulders squared. They took a moment to glare at each other.

"Us?" said Ron. "Why us?"

"I shall tell you when we are somewhere more private," he replied. "Is there such a place?"

"Yes, of course," said Mr. Weasley. "The, er, sitting room, why don't you use that?"

"You can lead the way," said Scrimgeour to Ron. "There will be no need to accompany us, Arthur."