Episode 004 - Darker Than A Shadow

_Recap_

    Sonic pouted again. "Fiiiiiiiine." Sonic walked back inside, once again getting bombarded with questions, which put him back on the ceiling beam.

Shadow stared at the outside of the guild with curiosity. "Fairy Tail, huh?" Shadow closed his eyes in concentration. 'Just what is Fairy Tail?' He thought before walking inside.

With our two favorite hedgehog heroes learning their new skills in Fairy Tail, the evil Dr. Eggman was in his lab back on Mobius. He cackled, seeing the hedgehog nuisances gone. "Finally, those two are gone! Now I can accomplish my goal! Taking over this wretched planet!" He cackled again.

--Fairy Tail--

Sonic was annoying Shadow, like always, Natsu was being an idiot and trying to pick fights with everyone (especially Gray), Lucy and Happy were on the sidelines, Gray was down to his underwear again (currently running around trying to find his clothes), and Erza was eating her cake. Pretty much a normal day.

"For the last time, Faker, I do not want to learn this stupid magic nonsense." Shadow said while the whole guild was creating a racket and not listening.

"I thought it was nonsense, too! But once I fought Natsu I was like, 'Whoa! This is cool'!" Sonic said, making hand movements and flailing his arms around. Shadow rolled his eyes. "Please, Shadow~?" Sonic asked, making puppy dog eyes. Shadow pushed his face away and said, "Fine."  Sonic cheered in his mind for his victory.

"But we can do that later." Shadow said, crossing his arms, "For now we need to figure out where we will be staying until we find a way back to Mobius." Sonic thought about it, right now he really didn't have a place to stay, so of course that was a problem, but Lucy said that there were apartments out in town that were available, or so he hoped.

"I think there's some apartments out in town that we can check." Sonic said. Shadow nodded, then ducked just in time to miss a chair flying at his head. "Does this always happen?" He asked, Sonic shrugged but then made a run to miss a table which was sent flying by Natsu.

--Mobius--

Tails paced back and forth, thinking about worst case scenarios about what could've happened to his older brother, Sonic. It had been 2 hours since Sonic and Shadow left to go fight Eggman, which it would usually take about half an hour at most, or at least just 1 hour, not 2. Amy sat on the couch in Tails' living room, worried as well.

"I really hope he's ok..." Tails said, finally stopping his pacing and sat down on the couch. Amy patted his back, half-smiling to try to comfort him. "I'm sure he's okay, Tails! He's Sonic, remember?" Tails smiled back, "Yeah. I just wonder what's taking him so long."

Suddenly, there was a knock at the door. Or more like a thousand rapid knocks. Tails got up from the couch and opened the wooden door, Knuckles being behind it. "Where's Sonic?" Tails frowned at his brother's name being mentioned, "He's out right now. Why do you need him?"

"Eggman has stolen the Master Emerald! Again..." Knuckles sweatdropped.

"Again?" Tails asked. "Really?" This is the who-knows-how-manyeth time the Master Emerald has been stolen. "Shut up, the point is we need to get it back!" Knuckles yelled. Tails sighed inwardly and said, "I'll start up the Tornado!" He ran to his garage and opened up the door, pulling a large Tornado out of the now open garage. Amy and Knuckles were outside waiting. Tails climbed into the cockpit and Amy climbed into the seat behind him. Obviously, Knuckles didn't get on because he can fly. Oh, sorry glide. (Cheeses, what do you want from me?)

"Alright, let's go get back the Master Emerald!" Tails said, starting up the Tornado. 'Again...' He added in his mind.

    --Fairy Tail--

    "This is the one!" Sonic said, cheerfully striding into the apartment, Shadow following him. It wasn't too small, all rooms had a decent size to them. The living room had white walls with hardwood floors and a cherry wood coffee table and a aqua blue couch, with various paintings on the walls. There was a small little brown table holding up a 35' TV against the wall. The kitchen had the appliances like a stove, microwave, sink, and refrigerator, which were all white, and teal blue walls and marble countertops. The cabinets in the kitchen were white as well. It had two bedrooms and a bathroom as well, which suited the two very nicely. The apartment had already been bought by Sonic, and Shadow didn't seem to mind that.

    "Don't get too comfy, faker." Shadow said, shutting the door and walking into the living room, Sonic already on the couch with his legs crossed, arms behind his head on the arm rest. "Hopefully we're not staying here long."

    Sonic rolled his eyes and said, "Yeah, I got it." The two hedgehog's stomachs erupted low growls, indicating they were hungry. "Great, we don't have any money either." Sonic muttered under his breath. He could really go for a chili dog right now. He remembered that the guild had a board for jobs, which is where he hoped they could get money. But, the problem with that was that they had to be a member of the guild before they could accept any jobs.

Sonic told Shadow about the jobs, and Shadow agreed reluctantly. It was the only way they could get money, after all, and without money, how were they supposed to feed the growling monsters known as their stomachs? "It will have to do." Shadow muttered. Sonic bounced up from the couch and said, "Alright! Let's go! I'd kill for a chili dog right now!" He sped out the door, or at least tried to do so. Shadow grabbed his arm before he could go 5 inches out the door, and pulled him back inside.

"Did you forget the fact that I might not have those kind of powers that those wizards have?" Shadow asked, deadpanning. Sonic did an anime sweatdrop and rubbed the back of his neck sheepishly and smiled. "Uh...yes?" Shadow almost facepalmed and sighed, annoyed. He swore there was a vein popping on the side of his head right now.

"Ok, ok, chill. There's a forest thing on the edge of town, we can go there to train!" Sonic said enthusiastically, grabbing Shadow's arm and speeding off. Of course, Shadow made him go back so they could grab their keys and lock the door to their apartment. Then Sonic started to run off, Shadow lecturing him about how they better not become lost. Sonic shook it off with a 'Don't worry,' and ran into the forest as a blur.

The two former hedgehogs stood in a clearing in a forest not too far from Magnolia. Trees surrounded them on all sides, as they served as targets. "So, care to explain how this magic works?" Shadow asked, crossing his arms. Sonic grinned and said, "Don't mind if I do!" He got into a stance that he had seen Natsu using when he started using his fire and put his hands in front of him, as if he was holding an invisible ball. His eyebrows were furred in concentration and he closed his eyes, focusing on the magic energy flowing through his body. He felt a tingle at his fingertips and opened his eyes a little, seeing a small little blue ball of energy forming. His face lit up and he almost shouted, but then the little ball had dissipated into thin air. His face held a sad look. "I almost had it..."

Shadow, though he would never admit it aloud, was actually impressed with Sonic. He had been here, what? Not even 24 hours and he had already started to use magic? Sonic tried again and again, creating a slightly larger amount of magic energy in his hands each time. Shadow studied how Sonic's stance was and saw he was completely relaxed as he formed the magic. Finally, Sonic created a large enough ball and chucked it at a tree at the speed of sound. As soon as the magic energy made contact with the bark of the tree, it blew it to bits, pieces of wood flying, but never breaking the tree fully. About half of the tree was broken in that spot, a burn mark on it.

Sonic, seeing his victory, jumped up excitedly, fist pumping. "Yes! Woohoo! I did it!" He cheered, proud of himself. "Now to just do it again!"

Shadow, on the other hand, was, once again, impressed. He even lost part of his stoic expression, his eyes showing curiosity. Never before has he seen his hedgehog friend (though he'd never admit to Sonic being his friend) prove to have such power in such a short amount of time. It made him wonder how much potential Sonic really had.

And it made him wonder if he had that power too.