The Marketplace

In the dark, brick alley halls that catacomb their way around the centre of the dragon-human city, two figures in hooded robes the colour of shadows, walked with an un-natural mysterious flare, towards the closest exit.

The first one was tall and seemed other wise normal if it wasn't for the shadowy attire that hid his human features. His name was Tsaef (with a silent 'T.)

The second, Esruc, was much shorter and his oversized cloak dragged behind him like a long black tail which helped camouflage his actual tail which was thick and sluggish, similar to that of a crocodile, if the crocodile happened to be as black as obsidian, but you'd barely notice it unless you looked closely and had a good eye for detail.

The tall one, Tsaef, knew exactly what they were doing, he didn't think it was safe, but he knew it had to be done at some point and he knew how it needed to be done, they couldn't wait anymore.

The one with the hidden tail stopped, he couldn't talk, but over the years Tsaef had somehow learned to understand him.

"Esruc, what is it?" He asked.

Esruc looked up at Tsaef, revealing his loveable face and doubting expression that couldn't belong to anyone but a six year old.

"Yes Esruc, I know it's dangerous."

Esruc blinked.

"And stupid, but it's not like we have any other choice."

Esruc looked away and stared at the alley ahead.

"Trust me, this is the only way and if there was another way I'd know."

Esruc did nothing and remained still.

"You know I would know. Now come on we're nearly there."

They walked along the twisting, turning alleyway, foot steps echoing off the cobblestones beneath their feet, but at last there was a opening ahead of them that ushered in a warm glowing light.

Esruc looked at Tseaf with a confused expression.

"Yes, it's the Market place."

Esruc kept staring at him, but his expression turned from confused to worried to fear.

"Don't worry they're not going to see your tail."

Esruc didn't change his expression.

"Ok... That's not what you were asking was it?"

The little boy shook his head.

"Then what were you asking?"

Esruc blinked.

"Oh yah... People."

Esruc nodded, then pulled his hood further over his head concealing his eyes.

"Look, Esruc, there's nothing to be worried about." Tseaf grabbed the boy's hand and lead him closer to the opening in the wall, the market was unbearably colourful, banners hung from the walls and stalls selling silk, pastries and other purchaseable goods lined the street, what's more it was blindingly bright compared to the shadowed alleys.

"Now look, see all the merchants and commoners walking around?"

Esruc nodded even though he was finding it difficult to see in the brightness.

"I can read all those folk, as easily as I can read you and it's not much different when it comes to dragons." Tseaf smiled the way he normally smiled when he talked about how brilliantly talented he is.

"Now let's see.... Over-enthusiastic merchant, grumpy old person...... Botany obsessed dragon... Ah ha perfect!  See the girl walking with the grey dragon?"