Chapter 3.1: The Newspaper

"Tell me everything about last night," Noor said as she stepped over the books and papers still scattered on the floor. 

"Oh, no. Not you too. I've had to tell the break-in story to what seems like half of the university already today, and there really isn't much to it to begin with." Reine picked up a pair of scissors from the mess. Although she'd been working on the clean-up for an hour, she had hardly even made a dent in it because of constant interruptions.

"Who cares about some random burglary? I mean, I already heard nothing was really taken, and the police don't have any leads. What I really want to hear about is your date. Spill." She crossed her arms and grinned.

"It wasn't a date. And apart from being a total disaster, there isn't much else to say." Reine put the scissors on the desk and picked up several books instead. "Anyway, we're not going to see each other again, so it doesn't matter."

"Awww, Rennie. You're awesome. Why wouldn't he want to ask you out again?" Noor asked while taking the books from her friend and placing them precariously on the nearest shelf.

"He did, but it doesn't matter since we're just too different. He's spontaneous, funny, and adventurous. And apparently I'm uptight. At least that seemed to be his first impression. Regardless, I'm the one who said we shouldn't have another go at it." She removed the books Noor had just put away and moved each one to a different spot.

"Dude, I date less than you do and even I think you should give him another chance. And you have got to admit you are a teensy bit uptight." She nodded at Reine's meticulous rearrangement. "But that's another reason I love you."

"Thanks, hon, but don't you think it's weird that a few days after I meet him, under very random circumstances if I may add, someone ransacks my office?"

Noor furrowed her brows. "Do you think he had something to do with it?" she asked.

"Well, all I know about him is what he told me himself," Reine said.

"If the police aren't suspicious, then you shouldn't be either." The girl dismissed the idea with a wave of her hand.

"You're right. The detective called me this morning with an update and told me Gabe 'checked out', whatever that means." Reine bit her lip self-consciously.

"You don't look like you believe him. Now I'm really confused. If you have a feeling something's off, why don't you tell the police? Don't you think they need to know that?"

She wished she didn't have to be so secretive with her friend.  "Probably," she said.

"Well, you should have done your homework." Noor rounded the desk in the middle of the room. Sitting in front of Reine's laptop, she started typing. "But better late than never, right?"

"What are you doing?" Reine asked.

The girl continued with the clicking of keystrokes. "Google, my friend. Welcome to the Twenty-First Century."

Reine brushed a strand of hair from her eyes. "Yes, I'm familiar with it, thank you. I mean what are you searching for?" 

"What's his name, Reine? Mister 'it wasn't a date, but I blush every time I mention him?'" Noor winked.

"I do not!" Despite her protest, her cheeks flushed with embarrassment. "Damn it. Gabe. Gabriel Moran."

After a few more clicks, Noor got some hits. "Let's see. This guy wrote some articles for the school paper at NYU," she read off the screen.

Trying to be as nonchalant about any new findings as possible, Reine picked up more books. "He said he went there."

A few more seconds passed by as Noor navigated the search results. "Bingo. He has a Facebook page."