Chapter One

Maddie's POV

  I wake up to my loud ass alarm clock, reading 6:30AM. I rub my eyes, wincing, remembering last night.

-Beginning Flashback-

  I got in the house at 7:47PM. I was supposed to be home like 15 minutes ago. My sister was upstairs probably crying or taking a nap. I doze off and suddenly I see my "dad".
  "Madison, where the fuck were you?" he says, in a stern voice.
  "Bitch, I went to go study at a friends house. but of course, you don't care." I say, now regretting what I said. Damn I can be sassy.
Suddenly, he grabs my hair. Shit.
  "Madison, call me a bitch one more fucking time, and I'll slap the hell out of you. Do you understand me?" how tugging tighter.
  "Oh I understand, bitch." I say.
  Well shit. Here comes the biggest ass whooping of my life. He goes to the freezer and gets an ice cold beer. He hits my eye with it, breaking the bottle. I step back, onto the glass and scream. He jumps on top of me, punching me in the face. Not saying another word, he leaves me in my pool of blood. I get the courage to get up and go to sleep.

-End Flashback-

  I stand up and stop my alarm, looking over at Kenzie. She looks really calm when shes sleeping, much more calm then when she is awake. I don't want to wake her up, but if I don't, she would just get in more trouble.
  "Kenz, you have to wake up," I say shaking her gently.
  "Maddie 5 more minutes please!" she groans and stretches. She looks up at me and sees my face. Her big brown eyes widen.
  "Maddie what happened to your eye? Did dad do it to you? What did he hit you with?" she says worryingly.
  I look at her and don't want to say anything, so I just hug her tightly. I feel hot tears form in my eyes, which eventually leads to bawling my eyes out because I don't want her life to be like this.
  "Im so sorry Mackenzie. Im so sorry our lives are so bad. You don't deserve to be tortured." I say, tears dripping down my red face.
  "Maddie, you don't deserve this either. I love you and we can get through this together." She says with a smile at the end of her sentence.
  Wow, my baby sister is being tougher than me at the moment.
  "I know it Kenzie, we can do it. Lets get dressed, today will be a great day." I say grinning at my little sister.
  I go to my closet and get a blue sweatshirt. I slip it on, as well as my black leggings. I comb my hair, and pull it up and slip it into a messy bun. I go into the bathroom and look at my eye. Damn, it is really swollen. I grab my concealer and cover my bruised eye up.
  I go downstairs into the kitchen, looking at Mackenzie eating her Lucky Charms.
  "Hey Ken-" I say, being shushed. She points to my drunk 'dad,'  god I don't even like to call him that, on the couch snoring. I just nod and eat my cereal quietly.

- Time Skip -

  Kenzie and I start walking to school. I look at my cracked phone, and the time reads 7:00AM.
  "We have some time Kenz, wanna go to the bakery?" I say looking at her.
  "Sure Maddie. Did you bring money? I don't have any on me." She says with a nervous grin.
  "I've got 20 bucks, were good." I smile. The bakery were going to our childhood. We went there with our mom back when she was alive all the time, and we always got these powdered  donuts, that we still get today. It's all we have left of her, so we try to go whenever we can.
  We get to the bakery and see the cashier, Ryleigh. She is our friend Kendall's older sister. She greets us with her fake smile, trying to hide her sadness and says "The usual?"
  "Yeah that would be great" I say looking at her. I appreciate everything she does for us, especially comforting us. The reason she tries to hide her sadness is because She knows what we go through, because she goes through it with her sister. Her and Kendall are also abused by her mother.
  "Thanks Ry." I say as she hands her our donuts. We sit down and eat them. They're actually really delicious and never get old.
  We finish our donuts and exit the bakery. We head to school and run into our best friend Kendall, Ryleigh's sister.
  "Hey Maddie, hey Kenzie. How are you guys?" Kendall says sadly. Kenzie and I look at each other worried about her.
  "Were fine. Are you, K?" Kenz says. Maybe something happened, I think.
  Kendall pulls up her sleeve and shows us her new wounds. Kenzie and I gasp at the bloody, deep gash by her elbow.
  "I can't do this anymore. She keeps hurting me." Kendall says, practically bawling at this point. She leaves a trail of mascara down her cheeks, hiccuping for air.
  "Kendall we know, we know it hurts." Mackenzie says choking up. I honestly feel so bad for Kendall since shes new to this. Her dad left only a year ago, which is when the abuse started. She fumbled with her sleeve trying to pull it down.
  "Come on K, lets walk to school. You're not alone, we love you." I say, trying not to cry. I hug her and help her up. She grabs her things, and we head to school and Kendall eventually stops crying.
  As soon as we get to school, people start to stare at us. They look at my eye in particular, make up can only do so much. I just look down and start to pick up the pace.
  Kenzie's first period is math with her bully, Nia. She looks worried every morning because of her.
  "Kenzie, don't think about her. Just ignore her, she is totally jealous of you." Kendall says, trying to comfort her.
  With Kenz being in a grade below us, its hard for me to really do anything about bullies for her. I guess they are just apart of life. I have bullies of my own.
  "Don't worry guys. I've learned to block out the haters. Love you." Mackenzie says. Wow, that went better than I thought.
  I thought "Today is going to be a great day."

  Little did I know.

________________

YO THIS IS MY FIRST TIME EVER WRITING A FANFIC SO DON'T JUDGE PLS. I DON'T REALLY LIKE IT BUT HOPE I GET BETTER ALONG THE WAY AND IDK WHAT TO SAY TO BYE I ALWAYS TALK IN CAPS BTW IDK WHY