21

Larkin had to keep her eyes shut in order to keep the bugs out. She didn't remember her previous flight with Black Lightning being quite so insect-filled. The little gnats and flies made her want to smack at her face, however, if she let go, she would end up plummeting to the earth. Larkin wanted to be an engineer when she grew up, not a pancake.

"Do you see her anywhere?" asked Larkin. Her concern for Greta only grew the longer it took to locate her.

"I've been watching since we got up here. There aren't many people on the streets," said Finn.

Larkin sighed before resting her cheek against Finn's back. Greta was probably out doing something that would get her into trouble. Or hurt. Despite Greta's insistence to stay away from anything that caused conflict, she had a tendency to get herself into it on accident. Larkin wouldn't be surprised if Greta were to run into a criminal or two. After all, she was a trouble magnet.

The soft rhythm of flight made Larkin almost fall asleep. It was getting late, and the week had been long. However, every time she began to doze off, she'd start to let go of Finn, and had to remind herself that she didn't want to be a pancake.

While dozing off again, she was jolted awake by Finn dropping suddenly. Larkin yelped and clung to his neck for life.

"Sorry!" he yelled over the wind. "There was a bird!"

Larkin relaxed again after her breathing calmed down and she realized she was not in direct danger.

"Thanks for almost killing me. It's exactly what I wanted to do on my Friday night."

"Just remember: I don't have to do this. I could just drop you here," he said. Larkin could practically hear the smirk that was surely coating his lips. "And you would land in that park on the grass. It would soften your landing."

Curious, Larkin glanced over his shoulder. Far below them, there was definitely a park. She recognized it as the pocket park she had visited with Greta what felt like weeks ago. It hadn't been too long ago, actually.

In the back corner sat two specks. Two definitely person-shaped specks. And one of them just happened to have Greta's recognizable bob haircut. From this distance, she couldn't quite make out the other person. For all she knew, it could be a drug dealer. Maybe Greta really is in the mafia.

"Finn! Stop! They're in that park," she screamed.

He stopped abruptly. He craned his neck to look back at Larkin.

"There isn't anyone in the park, Larkin," said Finn. He was looking at Larkin confusedly. He gestured down with one hand. "It's empty."

Larkin narrowed her eyes at him. Again, she looked over his shoulder. There were definitely two people in the corner. She wasn't blind. In fact, her eyesight was enhanced.

"No. Look in the left corner," she said, releasing Finn's shirt to gesture to the corner with Greta in it. "There are two people."

"I told you no one's there."

Larkin was frustrated. Why couldn't he see them? They were obviously there. The flood lights in the park provided plenty of light to be able to see the forms of two people, and with his eyesight, the dark should not have been a problem at all.

"Take me down there, but be very quiet. I don't want to startle them."

Again, Finn looked at her as if she was crazy, but relented and let them drift to the ground one block over. Larkin took the lead, dragging Finn behind her. She could make out voices, but no words. Walking to the entrance, she could hear the voiced more clearly, and she could tell that one was definitely Greta's. She gave Finn a pointed look and quirked an eyebrow as if to say 'I told you so.'