22

Jacob didn't bother to stop and speak to Finn, who was leaning against the wall outside the pocket park. He didn't bother to question why Larkin had thought to bring Finn with her, either. He kept walking, out of the park, down the street, away from the people he considered his friends.

He did bother to question how Larkin had found Greta so quickly. He knew that his powers didn't work on Larkin, so perhaps she had heard his and Greta's earlier conversation. They hadn't been at the park for more than five minutes when he had heard her tramp through the gate. No matter how much she tried, Larkin wasn't a quiet person. He had decided to ignore her when he saw her shoe sticking out of the bushes she had decided to dive into, and had continued on his way to the exit.

He knew that Larkin wasn't happy with him. For some reason or another, whenever he ran into her at school, glanced in her direction, or tried to speak with her, she would plaster a look on her face that told him to back off. He didn't know what he'd done to upset her. Sure, he did shoot her father, but he was certain that she was unaware of that fact. He hoped that she never had to find out. It would definitely put a damper on their already suffering friendship.

He sauntered away from the park and looked up at the sky. The stars were brilliant, too much so for a city with light pollution. Nonetheless, they were beautiful. He didn't question it.

On his walk, he had time to think. Lots of it. He remembered the project that was due next week. He also had time to ponder what Greta had asked of him. He made a plan.

He was to do good by doing bad. It was the perfect compromise.

Jacob didn't go home that night. His mother wouldn't notice, and his father wouldn't care. Instead, he spent the night wandering the streets, planning where to strike next. Greta would get her wish, and a whole lot more.

Jacob smiled sardonically at the irony. Greta was asking him to help the supers find the silent assassin, when in fact, they had already found him. He was him. He hadn't killed anyone yet, and hoped with utmost passion that he was never forced to.

With a grim smile, he picked up a rock and threw it through the window of a bakery.

For his own sake, he hoped that the supers stopped him soon. He didn't know how much evil he could take.

()()()

His rampage continued. Jacob was determined to get at least one super out. They couldn't ignore him forever. He just hoped that they would stop him before he was driven as far as robbing a bank.

He really didn't want to do that.

Just one, please. Just one, he begged. He wanted Larkin to show up and stop him from committing more vandalism. Black Lightning would be fine, too. Anyone, as long as they stopped him. He just had to tell them what Greta wanted him to tell them. Get yourself together Jacob. You're supposed to be evil. You were born that way.

As he threw his fourth rock through his fourth window, he tried to take pleasure in the sound of shattering glass. The pleasant crinkle as the shards landed on the ground reminded him of marbles clinking together. The dull thump of the rock as it landed on the floor of the store reverberated around him. He basked in it for a moment before deciding that it was time to move on to his fifth window and rock. 

He was afraid that he would run out of rocks before a super showed up and stopped him. It's not like one could simply find a good sized rock anywhere in the middle of town. One had to look for it.

Jacob pondered between a McDonald's and the shoe store next to it. After a few minutes of thinking, he decided upon the McDonald's. They probably had more money, anyway.