26

A dreamless sleep was Larkin's favorite kind. It was deep and refreshing, and it allowed her to forget about all of the issues in the real world. When she was asleep, she didn't have to deal with her less-than-perfect parents. She could forget that there were supervillains. She didn't have to stop any crimes when she was asleep. And most of all, even though he was imperfect, she didn't have to worry about finding out that her own father had dropped dead. Sometimes, Larkin wished that she could sleep through all of her problems.

On Sunday morning, around three, she was awoken from her sweet, dreamless sleep by her new least favorite person on Earth. Faintly, she could hear someone calling her name. Curses on my advanced hearing. She wasn't even completely awake yet. It was that awkward stage between awake and asleep where you can hear things, but you have no idea what anything means. There was an incessant tapping on window of the room she was staying in at her aunt's house, and she swore it went on for at least ten minutes before she got up to go check what it was.

Larkin dragged her feet across the floor, wondering who had the nerve to wake her at such a ghastly hour. Larkin could stay awake for quite a while, but once she was actually asleep, she was like a bear in hibernation. And once you woke her up, she was a bear.

She pulled the blinds and opened the window to come face to face with a smug grin.

"Who else would it be at this ungodly hour?" she grumbled before turning around and falling back onto the bed.

Finn grinned. "I'm here to collect. You woke me up, and I flew you places. You owe me a favor."

Larkin cringed, remembering how she had asked Finn to help her find Greta.

"And then you left me standing outside the park. In the middle of the night. Alone!" he exclaimed.

Larkin thought back to how she had taken Greta home without telling Finn where she was going or if she was going to come back or him. She shrugged. "It's not like you're defenseless."

"I stood there for fifteen minutes!"

"That's not very long. Why are you here again?" asked Larkin.

"You owe me a favor. And I wanted revenge. You know. For waking me up," he admitted.

Larkin got up again and walked to the window. "What do you want?"

"Well." Finn stopped. Larkin could tell by the sheepish expression on his face that he'd done something stupid. "Yesterday, I was out saving people as usual, and there was this one little boy at the public pool who was getting really close to the edge. He didn't have floaties or anything, so I, being the magnificent hero that I am, swooped out of the sky and pulled him away from the edge of the pool."

Larkin furrowed her eyebrows. "And what's so bad about that?"

Finn smiled sheepishly again. "As I flew away, my mask kind of fell into the diving end of the pool."

With a sigh, Larkin shook her head in frustration. "Don't you have one of those suits with, like, a hood/hat thing and then your mask is attached to it? How did it even fall off?" She tried to remember the details of Finn's suit. She remembered that it was a deep navy color, and it kind of reminded her of Captain America's suit. He is by far the best Avenger. No questions asked.

Finn tried to explain to Larkin how his mask fell off. "The hood and the mask aren't attached, and I'm awful at tying knots—"

"Why didn't you make it out of Velcro or elastic?"

"I— I didn't think of that."

"And why do you need me for this?"

Again, Finn explained. "It's still at the bottom of the pool. I checked. That pool's always dirty because they never clean it there, so they didn't even bother to fish it out. I can't swim to the bottom of the diving end, so I need you to get it for me."