⦁ 04. bad news (but at least there's an oscar with leo's name on it!)

"Sir, the police won't listen to you." The irritated tone of the young woman cut through the awkward silence that had held for a time between herself and the older man. Piper trusted him deeply, had been training closely with him for a while. Her want for mutant rights and full equality at times reached some extremes that resembled an old friend far too much for comfort and he refused to let an idealistic mind that only meant well fall like the man's had.

"Piper, I understand your cautious attitude towards the police, but trying to fix this issue on your own will do nothing." Xavier's calm voice spoke, looking up at her from his chair. He didn't need to read her mind to feel her anger despite her efforts to keep her face unphased. "You face enough pressure from other sources, the police will do som-."

"Sir, you know this isn't the first missing mutant in this year alone. Every time you report them they do nothing. They're connected, they have to be. Mutants from low income areas across the country? None of which chose to attend the school, may I add. This is the fourth one, we have to do something!" Piper snapped, throwing her arms up in the air and moving back. This man was practically an idol, a man who wanted humans and mutants to exist together as much as she did. But with her distrust of human law enforcement she would grow quickly infuriated.

She faced away from him, and refused to acknowledge him moving his wheelchair so he was in front of her.

"I'm going to call the police. That's the end of this issue for now, alright? I want you to focus on your studies and work, adding this would be too much even for you. It's nearly 10pm, you should sleep." The brunette looked at him, lips pursed and eyebrows creased.

"Professor, you're like the father I never had-,"

"Piper, you've known your father your whole life."

"Not the point. You're important to me. Please, at least consider letting me investigate this. I'm becoming a lawyer for all of this, to help our people. This is part of that job. Kind of..." Her hands fiddled with the hem of her grey shirt as the Professor sighed softly.

"I'll consider it. But for now, go. You've been worrying about this problem for hours. I know that woman is your friend and I promise she'll be safe." With that, he moved and waited for her to exit.

Admitting the minor defeat but mildly content with the possibility of an investigation Piper made her way to her room. At least at this time of night she was unlikely to bump into anyone.

"Why the scowl, Doctor Who?" SHIT.

"Practicing playing you in the school's annual play, Logan." Piper didn't have a problem with Logan as such. On the contrary, when she'd first arrived at the school he'd been one of her biggest crushes (Ororo tied for the number one spot with him). And they'd quickly grown to have a sort of grumpy Uncle/workaholic Niece dynamic (that wasn't even a trope, she had to remind herself. She needed to find a better term). Even with a friendship that had been going strong for years, that didn't mean they didn't throw irritated comments at one another.

At least he had gotten her a nice new the day before.

"Xavier give you bad news, huh? Go on, go to bed." He gave her a strong pat on the back, heading the opposite direction before she could reply. Another thing Piper liked about the gruff Canadian was his respect of privacy, not wanting to get into things too much.

She waved though she knew he couldn't see it, and ran to her room to avoid anyone else. Quietly shutting the door she flung herself on her bed. All she wanted was a long sleep, a late morning and waffles for breakfast. But angry always gave her too much energy.

Without looking up she patted around the end table for her phone and firmly picked it up. She sat up and struggled with the laces of her trainers whilst checking the basics. A quick check of her emails and deleting anything she didn't want to reply to or keep, a google for any interesting news and looking at her notifications on a few social media sites.