Take Care of You (Koushi Sugawara)

He was always doing this. At least, that's how it seemed to me.

As motherly as Suga acted towards his friends and everyone else, there were times when he failed to take care of himself. Or rather, he simply forgot to. Thankfully, I was around to keep an eye out for him. Though lately, that hasn't been easy.

We're in college now and share a small apartment. I'm not quite sure how you'd label us; we were a bit too close say friends or roommates, but we weren't exactly a couple. Sometimes when I think about it, I wonder if we're like the leading couple in a romance anime who are so obviously supposed to be together, but they're too oblivious so you're just left there yelling at the screen for them to just "shut up and kiss already!"

For the past two weeks, all I've seen him do is one thing: study. Every time I see him, he's leaning over the table with a textbook in front of him, pencil in hand and writing busily in a notebook. With as much as I see him like this, he's probably copied the entire textbook word for word three times by now. Or at least about that much.

I haven't seen him do anything else. He hasn't eaten... he hasn't slept... hasn't done anything at all. Sure, it's entirely possible that he did that stuff whenever I wasn't there, but I was seriously doubting it. Suga certainly didn't look like he was taking care of himself.

It was tiring just looking at him... I had to do something.

Suga was too busy writing to even notice me standing right behind him. Normally I would just tap him on the shoulder and tell him that he should take a break, but this time called for more extreme measures. I quickly snatched his pencil out of his hand before he even had a chance to see what I was doing.

"Hey!" He tried to take it back, but I just held it behind my back and used my free hand to close his textbook. After marking his page of course. I'm trying to help him after all.

"You are taking a break now," I said firmly. "This is all I've seen you do for the past two weeks. You look horrible. Have you even been eating or sleeping at all lately?"

Suga didn't look at me. "I'm almost done, so I'll stop then." He opened his book again, only to have me close it. "Just-" He'd turned around with a glare with the intentions of scolding me for interrupting him, but he stopped suddenly. His eyes were fixed on something and it wasn't hard to guess what or why.

"Suga, don't tell me you haven't been..." I trailed off, sighing. It's a well-known fact that vampires need blood. If they go too long without it, they will either become ill or blood-crazed. Neither option was very pleasant, though the former was obviously the more preferable of the two.

Koushi Sugawara was a kind person. He'd never ask anyone if he could take their blood, he'd simply wait for them to offer it. That rule was one he used even with me, even though I'd repeatedly told him that I was willing to give mine to him any time he needed it; all he had to do was say so.

His silence told me what I needed to know. "When was the last time?" I sighed.

"The last time you offered..." he admitted, trying and failing to turn his eyes away from me. That was three days before he started in on his two weeks of nothing but studying. Obviously, that wasn't good. Normally I would ask him every couple days to make sure he was okay, but lately I'd been a bit busy and it seemed to slip my mind. I simply assumed that since he didn't seem to be affected by it that he'd been getting blood from someone else.

Letting out another sigh, I reached forward and grabbed his hand. He flinched but didn't try to stop me. Taking him by the hand, I led him into his bedroom and made him sit down on the bed. Before anything, I figured he at least deserved a little be of a lecture. If it wasn't going to be from me, then it would be Daichi and we all know who he'd prefer if given the choice.

As I went on though, Suga didn't look like was listening. Or rather, he was, but it was like he wasn't really hearing a single word I was saying. Looks like this would have to wait a bit. "Alright, so here's what's going to happen. First, we're going to take care of your little blood problem," I told him, holding up a single finger. "Then you are going straight to bed. You haven't been getting enough sleep, so you need to rest a bit before anything else. If I have to, I stay up and sit right here with you just to make sure you actually sleep and don't go back to studying when I'm not looking. Got it?"

"Understood." Suga nodded and watched as I sat down beside him. Slowly he leaned in a bit, stopping just a few centimeters from my neck. What was he waiting for? He had permission and I knew he needed it, so was holding him back?

I never got an answer to that question. His lips pressed against the side of my neck, then he finally bit down, sinking his fangs in. He was always careful and tried to be gentle, but it did still hurt a bit. Though it wasn't nearly as painful as other vampires made it. That was something I loved about Suga.

After a while, he pulled away. As he did though, I suddenly felt extremely dizzy and started to fall forward. Suga quickly caught me. "Sorry, I guess I took a little too much..." he quietly apologized. "Just lay down and I'll get something to help you." He started to lay me down and walk away, but I quickly grabbed his arm to stop him.

"Why?" I asked, my head resting against his chest. His arms were always so warm... so safe... "Why are you always looking after everyone other than yourself? If you're always taking care of everyone else, then who's going to take care of you?" Even when I was trying to look after him because he needed it, he was still trying to take care of me.

"Maybe that's because I know that you're always there," he said softly. He sounded like he was smiling, but I really couldn't tell for sure. "You're always looking out for me, making sure I'm okay, even when I'm not paying any attention to whether I'm alight or not."

Slowly and carefully, I tilted my head upwards. Suga's eyes met with mine and a warm, fuzzy feeling took hold of me. For some strange reason, I couldn't help but feel like I really, really wanted to kiss him. Maybe I was just loopy from the blood loss... I think that can happen, can't it?

Before I even knew what I was doing, I was already moving closer to him. I wasn't the only one though; Suga met me halfway. His lips caressed mine gently while my arms wrapped around him, pulling him closer. The faint taste of blood still lingered on his lips, but I didn't mind. It was my blood, so why should it matter?

All too soon it ended. Though I guess I couldn't really complain since I was feeling like I might pass out. As I laid down in his bed, I half expected him to leave me there and return to his studies. That's not what he did. Instead, he climbed into bed beside me, cuddling next to me and quickly falling asleep. Soon enough, I drifted off as well with a smile on my face.