Chapter 2

Chapter 2

I stood on the front porch, clad in soft flannel pajamas and thick socks, a steaming mug of chocolate warming my hands as I watched the sun slowly rise over the horizon. A blissful sereneness warmed my body as I thoroughly absorbed my peaceful surroundings. As I listened to the rustling of the leaves when the wind lightly blew through the trees, I thought about the rushed life I lived just two weeks ago, so rushed that I had never taken the time to stop and really listen to the peaceful sounds that grace the mornings. Of course, the city is always so filled with the loudness of cars and heavy traffic, I couldn't have even heard a crow squawking at the top of its lungs. Yes, this beautiful quiet valley was heavenly, my own little corner of paradise.

I stepped off the front porch and turned to look up at my new home. The large a-framed cabin offered me total seclusion, being surrounded by large oak and pine trees. A gravel driveway stretched a half a mile out to the main road, and the mountainous view from either direction was breathtaking.

I took a sip from the mug warming my hands, the steam from the sweet creamy liquid providing instant heat to my face. I closed my eyes. Now, this is life. I don't think I was even living before this. Opening my eyes after a moment and taking in a final view, I went back inside.

Leaning against the closed door, I gazed around the spacious front room, pleased with my decorating job. The living room furniture was rustic, yet modern, the perfect blend of nature and metropolitan.

The sofa and chairs were a soft brown leather. Red and brown woven area rugs covered the hard wood floors, and matching patterned smaller versions adorned the walls. A large window stretched to the top of the vaulted ceiling and a rust and yellow colored dream catcher hung from the center wooden beam that stretched across the room. A tall maple bookshelf covered one wall and was now lined with my most prized novels.

I decorated the rest of the house in similar fashion, with the exception of my dance studio. Each time I walked into the room, (which had been a large formal dining room before I transformed it,) I felt as if I was entering another world, a world I managed to bring part of with me, the part I loved. With framed prints of Rudolph Nureyev, Margot Fonteyn, and Mikhail Baryshnikov gracing the walls that weren't covered by windows and mirrors, plus a killer stereo system, the room definitely stood out from the rest of the house. Yet this one room made the place home for me. A little civilization in an uncivilized corner of the world, Mama and Daddy would think.

I downed the last swallow of chocolate, meeting my sugar quota for the morning, and took my mug to the kitchen. I placed the mug in the sink, pausing for a moment to lightly run a hand over the rough cut granite counter top. The kitchen was another favorite place of mine.

The cupboards were a lightly stained maple and the appliances were stainless steel. I had the appliances changed before I moved in. Only the refrigerator remained, and only because I loved the large, clear glass door. The wood trim also matched the cupboards. I figured being able to see the inside of the fridge would prompt me to keep it cleaner. At least I hoped it would.

As I looked down at the light gray ceramic tile, I again thought about how particular the previous owners must have been. I was grateful for their finickiness. Their taste suited mine wonderfully.

I checked the wooden coo coo clock on the wall and decided I had mused over my surroundings enough for the morning. Two weeks had been long enough to get settled. Everything was unpacked and put away and the place truly felt like home to me.

Now I wanted to really experience this new life. I had definitely expanded my horizons by moving here. Now I wanted to get out and see the sights this small piece of paradise had to offer, what it had to offer me, and what I could contribute.