Part 9

Chapter 9

A week later, beneath the beautiful white gazebo behind Sonya's home, Ethan and I pledged our love to each other and were married. The skies were sunny and the weather was perfect. Everything was perfect. It was as if the heavens were smiling down upon us and the powerful being who inhabited that space was giving us His blessing.

The wedding took place sooner than we had planned and we'd had to change things quickly, but after having gone through such emotional heartache, we didn't want to be apart any longer, and there was no point in waiting.

The ceremony had been simple but beautiful. Ethan was so handsome in his dark gray suit. I wore a simple, fitted white dress, which fell just above my ankles. My hair was loosely pulled up and away from my face, leaving a cascade of curls falling down my back. I inserted a few wildflowers here and there at the crown. Ethan told me I was beautiful, but the look his eyes held each time his gaze fell on me said more than words ever could.

The day had been full of happiness and hope, and the moment I became Mrs. Ethan Greyeagle, my happiness was increased ten fold. We had made it. I belonged to him now, and he belonged to me. Everything was as it should be.

The only people in attendance were the members of Ethan's family. They were the only guests we needed. And now that I was his wife, they were my family as well. I treasured that knowledge. I needed family more than I could say.

After the ceremony, we enjoyed the wonderful brunch Sonya had prepared. It was basically the same meal we had planned, only scaled down a bit. The appetizers were delicious. The seafood was fresh and tasted excellent, the pastries and wedding cake, decadent. I couldn't remember the last time I'd enjoyed such grand food. Well actually, I could. It was when I had attended the wedding of one of my students in Brooklyn. But this time it was better, because it was being served at my own wedding.

Throughout the meal, my eyes would meet Ethan's, and we spoke to each other without words. No words were needed. We were husband and wife now, and he was free to love me the way he longed to, the way I longed for him to.

Sonya asked us where we were going on our honeymoon. Ethan told her we were driving down to South Carolina the next morning and staying at a bed and breakfast in Charleston for a few days. He'd planned it because he knew how much I longed to explore some of the historical sights there. I found myself looking forward to walking through the old cemeteries. My ancestors were from Charleston and I was anxious to try and locate some of their graves.

We talked for a little while longer and opened the beautiful presents they had given us, one of which, was another wedding ring quilt. Only on this one, the rings were gold. I knew I would treasure it always because of what it symbolized to me. The quilt I had bought myself, represented a dream. This one would now represent reality, a dream that was now fulfilled. One day I would tell my new sister-in-law just how much the gift meant to me.

After receiving more tearful hugs from Sonya and Wyatt, we loaded our gifts into the truck and headed back to the cabin, which was now our home. We had decided to take our time selling Ethan's cabin. It was smaller than mine, and since the one I bought had been his favorite design, it had been easy to choose which one we would keep.

When we got there, Ethan asked me if I wouldn't mind hiking up the mountain with him. I told him I would love to, then I went to change. Afterward, I went to the kitchen and found him packing a picnic basket with some food Sonya sent home with us, as well as a bottle of sparkling cider and a couple of champagne glasses. He turned and smiled at me, and my heart suddenly began to beat faster in anticipation of what he had planned. He kissed me in a way that left me desperately longing for him, then he went to change.