Chapter 6

Chapter 6

A person's family is usually worth its weight in gold, which was definitely the case with Ethan's family when we shared our news with them the next day.

Over turkey sandwiches and lemonade, we told Wyatt and Sonya of our feelings for each other and our plans to be married. As they showered us with hugs and heartfelt good wishes, I felt boundless love and acceptance. And when Ethan's father took my face in his hands, pressed a kiss to my forehead, and told me how he had longed to have me marry his son from the very first, I knew the love I already felt for this family would soon rival the love I had for my own. I felt deeply honored that I would have the privilege to be bound to such a strong people, a noble people with a valiant heritage, a marvelous heritage like my own. My heart was filled with happiness.

While we were there, Ethan took me riding on Races The Moon again. I was still a little sore from the last ride, but I relished being in the saddle with him. He kept the horse at an easy pace. I closed my eyes and snuggled back against his chest as he tightened his embrace and pressed his lips against my temple.

Never in my life had I ever felt such joy, such happiness. Not only was I in a real relationship for the first time in my life, I was actually engaged. I was now loved by and claimed by the sweetest and most loving man I've ever known. I never knew men like him even existed. Maybe he was the only one. I was sure he was. And I felt blessed to have him.

Truly everything about the afternoon had been wonderful. But the joy that had charged through me the whole afternoon was quickly drained during the phone conversation with my parents that night. I couldn't even call it a conversation really, because that would consist of two people conversing back and forth, which wasn't the case with this call.

Basically, all I had been able to get out was, "Hi, Mama and Daddy. How are you?" I addressed both, since they were usually on the phone at the same time whenever we talked. When I got to, "I've met someone, he's Cherokee Indian, he's thirty, I love him, and we're getting married," the rest of my part of the dialog was instantly cut short. I was glad to have gotten that much out as quickly as I did.

I had known telling Mama and Daddy about Ethan would bring a negative reaction, but what I didn't expect was outright anger. With tears running down my face, I listened to their accusations of my irresponsibility. They accused me of turning my back on my family, my heritage, and my own kind. How I loathed the sound of those last three words!

My father said I never should have moved away. My mother wondered why I couldn't find a nice black man, one my own age. She even had the nerve to throw Larius back in my face. Part of my brain made a mental note to ask Ethan how to tell my parents off in Cherokee. I sadly mused that even if he did tell me, I probably wouldn't be able to go through with it, and that really bothered me.

Throughout the call, Ethan stayed by my side, holding my hand and wiping my tears. I saw the hurt and anger on his face, and it gave me comfort. Finally, not able to stand their angry remarks any longer, I ended the call by telling my parents I would always love them, but Ethan was my life now. And if they couldn't accept him, then they were rejecting me as well, and it would be their loss.

I told them I would like to have their blessing and support, but I would accept the absence of both if I had to. They informed me not to bother inviting them to the wedding because they wouldn't be there, and after they filled my siblings in on what a mess I was making of my life, none of them would, either.

By the time I got off the phone, I felt completely drained. Ethan held me as I cried and told me over and over again that it didn't matter, that everything would be all right. I buried my face in his warm flannel shirt and silently asked God why it had to be this way. Why couldn't my family understand I wasn't a child anymore, and that I was capable of choosing my own mate? I mean, for crying out loud, I was forty years old! The time of me needing to be told what to do had long since passed. But they still couldn't see that. I guess I should have cut the apron strings a lot sooner.