61. Drama

61. Drama: Write about a time when you got stuck in between two parties fighting with each other.

Violinist
A teaser

Mia crept out of bed, slowly and fearfully, lest the old mattress make some noise of protest to her shifting and give away that she is awake and alert. Not that Daddy would care, but Mom was always looking for reasons to fault her.

She could hear the rise and lower of their voices, and every syllable was thick with their anger. As always when they fought, her heart thudded like she was running. Her hands grew a frigid cold.

"--skipping classes to go with you to that club of yours," Mom was hissing.

Mia flinched. So she knew about that. Mia suspected as much, but it had been nice to be in doubt of it and pretend she was getting away with it.

"It's not my fault, Sherie," Daddy said. Mia could hear him pacing out his frustration. Was it aimed at her or her mother or the world? Mia was never sure with Daddy, but it was usually her mother.

"How?" cried her mother. Mia could imagine her swaddled in her favorite flannel blanket, curled up within the folds of their dumpy armchair. "You don't stop her! You let her."

"I don't invite her to come," Daddy shot back.

It was true. How many times had I wanted him to say he was glad to see me? To ask me to come again? I was still waiting.

"That means nothing, Ed, and you know it. You and that Ryker guy are turning her away from me." She did not sound sad. She had venom in her voice. It spat acid. It burned and stank from it.

Mia was crouched by her bedroom door, her ear pressed against it. She heard her father say, in low tones, "Ryker is a fine fellow. I am glad Mia has him."

Yes, because then I don't have to have you, Mia thought.

"Besides," Ed continued, and there was poison in his tone too. "Besides, I do not believe Mia was ever yours to begin with."

There is a sudden noise, as the old chair squeals, and Mia knows Mom is sitting straight up and glaring at Daddy.

"Take it back, Ed."

The hurt in her voice astonishes Mia. Was she really so affected by Mia's indifference?

"I do not retract the truth."

"Because you never say it! Just face it, Ed: I know you. Better than you want to admit it, but I know you. I know what you're doing."

There is a long silence, and I desperately want to see what they look like these parents of mine. I am a part of them, but they do not seem like a part of me right now. How many lives have they lives separate from my own?

"Her name is Iola."

Daddy's voice is so quiet I do not think I hear him right at first. But I remember what Ryker said about a woman named Iola and my heartbeat quickens even more. Suddenly this is spiralling, and I am caught in it.

"Iola," Mom sneers. "That is the best you can do? A woman names Iola?"

Daddy's rage is powerful in that it is quiet. "What about Mo?"

I know instinctively, with that same child's instinct that had never abandoned me, that the game had changed.

"Mo is in the past," Mom whispered.

"Is he?"

"Just go, Ed. I can't handle you anymore."

There is a bang, and I recoil, but it's the screen door slamming. Then Daddy is gone, and in the morning his violin will be gone, and in the morning our family is gone.

A/N: So this is a highly emotional book I've been writing for years and this did not turn out like I wanted it to at all. However, at the moment I was having a hilarious conversation on Kik in which I was face swapping Dylan O'Bryan and a veggie face, so I was not really prepared to write something deep. Very sorry, but maybe this atone for my bad entry.

By the way, two months down, ten to go.