Chapter 8

The Warblers were having one last reunion before Wes left for college. I was invited. But sadly I had to finish the last of my transfer papers for Dalton. So I opted not to go. It was time for old friends to say goodbye.

Hence why I was surprised to find Wes on my front step, with...

"Is that a cage?" I asked with a raised eyebrow. "You got me a pet?"

"Yep!" he said handing me the cage. I peaked inside and found birds. Not just one bird.

"Love birds?" I asked. "Aww Wes I didn't think you cared that much."

He just slapped me behind the head and I couldn't help but chuckle. "Just accept the gift, Bas."

"Thanks" I said honestly. "This is great. I'm serious though. What's with the odd breed choice of flying pets?"

"It's symbolism, Bas." Wes explained. "It's sort of an inside tradition. There's this strange magic with lovebirds. One cannot live without the other. It's like living with a partner or being inside a group. You need each other to live peacefully. I got a pair myself a long time ago. The thing with love birds, they live for about ten years if taken cared of properly they can live even longer."

"What happened to yours?"

"They're right here." Wes motioned to the cage. "These guys are like my little Warblers. I'm leaving for college. And I need someone to take care of them for me. And I thought you'd be perfect for the job."

I was left practically speechless. "W-Wow Wes. I promise to take care of them."

"Thanks Bas." Wes said wrapping his arms around me. I wrapped my arms around my new friend. In the month or so that I was here, Wes was like the big brother that I wished I had. According to Thad, he was like the big brother of all the Warblers. Trent even called him Big Brother Warbler Wes.

"I have to go. I have an early flight tomorrow." Wes explained patting my shoulder. "Good Luck, Barry."

"Thanks Wes."

~()~

"What is that?" Stacy asked as soon as he and Dad got home. It was 'bring your daughter to work day' or at least Stacy claims it is. So she spent the day in the Law firm with Dad. I question what she would be able to do from eight to six in an office building.

"Those are love birds, Stacy." I said to my sister who was staring at the birds with wide eyes. "They belong to my friend Wes. But he's going away to study and he doesn't have time to take care of them so he passed them down to me."

Dad looked at the birds then at me with a big smile. He patted me at the back. "Congratulations, Seb."

"For what?"

Dad looked at me in confusion then just shrugged it off.

"You'll figure it out." He said smiling.

"Can I please touch them, Bazzy?" Stacy asked with pleading eyes. "Pretty please?"

"Alright." I said. "Just be careful, okay?"

"Okay" she said practically chirping. I opened the cage and offered my finger to the birds. Both creatures perched themselves on my finger and I slowly took them out of the cage.

Stacy offered me her little finger and I placed my finger an inch away and let the birds climb on her little finger. She looked at both of them in awe as one was perched on the finger and the other was perched on her wrist.

She used her other hand to pet the little creatures on the head with gentleness that is rarely seen on a six year old.

I opened the cage again Stacy put them back.