Fifteen.

Now Playing... Skinny Love

"Wes, calm down. You'll get to her. She'll be okay." I gripped his hand tightly as he sped down the highway, nearly wrecking. "Do you hear me?"

He glanced at me, the same worried and fearful expression locked on his face. He didn't speak, but he nodded, and it made me feel slightly better. Instead of shaking my hand away, he interlaced his fingers through mine and held tightly. Once we arrived at the hospital, Wes ran in to the front desk with me trailing behind.

"Can you tell me where Nova Grayson is?" Wes asked, his voice cracking, and the lady tapped her fingertips against the keyboard, taking her time, which stressed Wes out more.

"She's in room 109. Right down the hall and to the left."

"Thank you." Wes grabbed my hand as we sprinted down the hall, and when we reached Nova's room, Wes slowly opened the door. When I saw her, my breath caught in my throat. Wes, on the other hand, nearly broke down crying. "Nova..."

He knelt beside her bed, grabbing her little hand and holding it gently in his. He rested his head against her bed. Her skin was like the times when you could make out the crescent moon in the blue afternoon sky. That same, ghostly paleness haunted her skin. I stood beside Wes, resting my hand on his shoulder, just as the doctor walked in. "Are you Wesley Grayson?"

Wes stood, nodding as he shook the doctors hand. The doctor glanced at me. "And who is this?"

"She's my..." He swallowed hard. "My girlfriend."

I kid you not, I nearly collapsed.

"Okay." The doctor stared at me before focusing on Wes. "Nova was playing on the monkey bars, and when she got to the ladder at the end, she slipped and hit her head off the steps, which is why she is unconscious. She has a concussion, but she should wake up soon."

Wes sighed. "Okay, thank you."

The doctor shot Wes a small smile before leaving the room. Wes said beside Nova again, holding her hand as he watched her. "I don't understand why this happened to her."

"It happens to all kids at least once, Wes." I sighed, sitting beside him. "Don't you remember when you hit your head off the bottom of our pool when we were younger? You turned out fine."

When he looked at me, my heart dropped in his chest. I had never seen Wes look so... heartbroken before. "She didn't deserve this. I-I should've been better to her. How do I become a better big brother?"

"I know this isn't what you want to hear, but she's told me a few times that you scare her, especially after you threw her. Maybe start there. Be more gentle with her."

He slammed his hand against the arm of the chair, and I flinched as he glared at me. "Dammit, Molly! I know I hurt her! I can't erase what I've done, and when you keep reminding me of it, the problem only gets worse! I'm sorry I hurt her. Are you happy now?"

His outburst made me cower away. I looked away, biting my lip to keep from crying. He sighed, resting his head in his hands. "Molls... I'm sorry. I didn't mean to--"

"It's fine, I get it." I bit back, wiping my eyes as I focused on the wall. "I ruin everything."

Wes moved closer, wrapping his around me. As mad as I was at him, I couldn't resist his comfort, especially when I felt so warm and safe.

"No, you don't. If anything, you know how to make everything better." He whispered, burying his head in my shoulder, and I sighed as I wrapped my arms around him. "Is she going to be okay, Molly?"

I ran my fingers through his hair. "Yeah, she will. I know she will."

We continued to hold each other, and eventually, we both fell asleep, with him holding mine and Nova's hand.

***

"They need to improve the furniture in this damn hospital." Wes complained, readjusting himself for the fifth time. We stayed overnight at the hospital, and the whole time, all Wes did was complain. It was funny, to be honest, but I had to bite my lip to keep from laughing because Wes was not having it.

"Put it in the suggestion box."

"Shut up."

I busted out laughing, and he glared, but eventually, he fought back a smile. A small smile grew on my own face as he grabbed Nova's hand, planting a gentle kiss against her skin. He silently watched her, and I watched him. It was content between us At that moment, but everything stopped when Nova's eyelids fluttered open.

"Wes? Molly?" She rasped, and we both smiled as Wes wrapped his arms around her. She held him tightly.

"I'm so sorry, Nova. I'll be better. I love you."

Nova smiled brightly. "I love you too, Wessy."

Wes moved out of the way so I could hug her. She wrapped her small arms around my neck, making me smile. "I'm so glad you're okay, Nova."

"Wessy, can you get me water?" She asked, and he smiled softly at her before leaving the room. I sat in the chair beside her bed, holding her hand, she shot me her big, toothy grin.

"What?" I asked, and she glanced out the window, watching as raindrops trickled down the glass.

"He still loves you." She whispered, and my breath caught in my throat.

...Still?

He had never loved me. We had always been best friends, completely platonic. Sure, I had questioned if I had feelings for him, but I knew it was never the other way around. I knew he never wanted anything more than to be friends. Even when we were enemies, and whatever we had been that day, it had always been just friends. Besides, how could a six-year old be so sure?

"He never loved me, Nova. We were always just best friends." I mumbled. "I promise you that."

Nova never answered. She just looked out the window again, a small, calm smile growing on her face.