Twenty-Three.

Now Playing... New Year's Day

"Come on, Molls! It's New Year's Eve!" Lana exclaimed as she stepped into my room. "A great time to dance and get drunk."

I held the sealed letter in my hands for a second longer before tucking it away in my nightstand. I faced Lana and Evan, placing my hands on my hips. "Is that all you're focused on? My parents are going to be with us, you know?"

Lana laughed while Evan winked at me. I rolled my eyes, smiling. Mom, Dad, Lana, Evan, Nova, and Wes were the only people who were going to be present for our New Year's Eve party, but I didn't mind. I figured it would be more fun that way.

"You have to look comfortable but hot." Evan flipped through the clothes in my closet. "Just in case Wes comes back."

He winked, and I rolled my eyes shoving him playfully. Lana giggled. "Where is he anyway?"

"Nobody knows. He left without a word."

The room grew silent as Evan continued to raid my closet while Lana scrolled through her phone. I watched Evan's expression change with each piece of clothing he touched, and it ranged from absolute disgust, to pity, to semi approval-- until he found the perfect outfit. He faced me, holding up a long sleeve dark blue crop top and a black skirt. Evan threw it to me, and I sighed before changing into the outfit in the bathroom. The skirt reached mid thigh on me, and the shirt was long enough that it rested above the hem of the skirt. I braided my hair to the side and applied makeup before walking out to Evan and Lana.

"Damn, Molls." Lana yelled, winking. "You look hot!"

"Wait." Evan pulled out his phone, facing Lana and I. "We need a selfie!"

Lana rolled her eyes. "You're such a girl sometimes."

"You still love me though."

Lana's face tinged pink as Evan busted out laughing. He planted a kiss against her cheek before turning the camera on the three of us. I had to admit, we looked nice. Somehow, we had managed to match each other. After our selfie session, we walked downstairs, grabbing a jelly shot from the kitchen before meeting the rest of the family in the living room. Mom made a buffet, as usual, so we ate as we watched Taylor Swift singing in Times Square on TV. Nova stayed downstairs long enough to eat, and then she went to bed. Dan + Shay were just about to perform when the front door opened, and Wes walked in, holding another girl's hand.

"Wes! You're home!" Mom smiled brightly as she led them into the kitchen. Lana and Evan sit with their jaws unhinged, and I shook my head.

"Molly--"

"It's alright." I cut Lana off, mustering up a smile. "I'm not surprised."

Evan sadly smiled. "Don't worry about him. It's New Years and you deserve to enjoy tonight."

The three of us started dancing around the room, while I tried my best to forget Wes and what he was doing. We danced until him and the girl walked into the room, and then we sat back down. The two of them sat across from us, and the girl smiled. "I'm Olivia."

Lana smiled back. "I'm Lana. This is my boyfriend Evan," She gestured to Evan, who smiled, "And Molly. She lives here."

Olivia smiled at me, and I smiled back, as hard as it was. Her attention moved away from us as she leaned against Wes, and I forced myself to avoid his eyes as I focused on the TV. Ryan Secrest was talking to Camila Cabello about her upcoming performance, but I found myself being unable to listen. It was half past eleven, which meant the ball would be dropping soon. Evan and Lana were having their own conversation, while Olivia was talking to Wes. And there I was, alone in a crowded room.

I glanced at Wes and Olivia. He was tucking a piece of hair behind her ear, something he had always done to me, and she giggled. A genuine smile was plastered on his lips, and it killed me. I knew we were nothing more than friends, but at one point in time, he was everything to me. I couldn't even remember the last time when I had seen him smile like that.

"Wanna talk about it?" Mom said as she sat beside me, and I shook my head. She sighed, hugging me tightly, and I snapped my eyes shut, as if that would keep me from crying. But it was hard. All I wanted was my best friend back, or at least to be acknowledged. It broke my heart to know he was in my reach, yet he couldn't have been farther away. "I know it hurts, sweetheart. But he's still your best friend. That boy would do anything to be close to you."

She shot me a sad smile walking into the kitchen. I sighed as I faced the TV. The countdown for the ball drop began, and everyone but me stood. Mom and dad ran back into the room, and dad wrapped his arms around mom, while Evan did the same to Lana. Wes pressed his lips to Olivia's temple before smiling at her, holding her close.

"Five!... Four!... Three!... Two!... One!... Happy New Year!" Everyone shouted. Evan pressed a passionate kiss to Lana's lips, dad smiled at mom before kissing her, and Wes kissed Olivia, smiling through the kiss. It was all too much for me. I quickly walked out of the room, escaping to the patio. I breathed in the night air, leaning against the balcony as I tried to focus again. It was as if I could hear every party in the city, every happy couple enjoying their night together, yet there I was, alone. Who ever thought you could be at your loneliest with so many people around?

I stared at the sky as my eyes grew blurry. The back door slid open, but I didn't move. I couldn't.

"Molly..." His voice sent a chill down my spine. I remained frozen in place as he stood beside me, but I forced myself to keep looking at the sky. I knew it was him. But I was too scared to face the one thing that had the power to ruin me.

When I didn't answer, he grabbed my waist, making me turn towards him. As I stared up at him, a single tear trickled down my face, and hurt flashed in his eyes as he gently wiped it away. He wrapped his arms tightly around me, and I buried my head in the crook of his neck, holding onto a moment I knew would soon be ripped away from me. If all I had was that moment, then I wanted to remember every little detail about it. That was the only way I could hold him in my heart.

Wes pulled away, his fingers brushing against my cheeks as he leaned in and pressed his lips against mine. He pulled me closer, until our bodies touched, and his lips were so tender, my knees grew weak. I gripped his shirt in my hands as another tear fell, and he let the kiss linger a little longer before pulling away. Our breaths mingled together as he pressed his forehead against mine. "Happy New Year, Molly."