Chapter 1

(Sequel to this story out now!! Go read At Home in Santa Fe!!!)

Hello there the world of fanfiction. After a whole year of waiting to write a newsies fanfiction and exams getting in the way I now have a whole summer to attempt my own story. If it's not clear I love newsies, especially Jeremy Jordan. I was going to put a cast list on this story but as I reader myself I understand that everyone has their own preferences on who plays who so I'm just gonna leave it up to you. Just saying I have never seen the show (tragic I know) but I do love the film and I have seen many clips and know the cast recording (and newsies got swag) of by heart. So I'll stop talking now so you can read the story, feel free to comment or review or message me.

Hope you enjoy it, love British fansie 24601 .

I never thought I would come back, no really after five years in England I thought that was it. I had told myself I would never return home to New York, yet here I am walking through the streets of Manhattan and I could honestly say I have never been happier.

I hated it in England, don't get me wrong I loved the country it was beautiful and peaceful but I hated my school with a passion. Like so many other young upper class girls I had absolutely no freedom what so ever, it was just lesson after lesson on how to be a perfect lady. But honestly don't get me wrong I didn't rebel or anything, I was always too shy, unlike my sister Katherine who would have gladly screamed at any stuffy teacher who told her to pronounce her vowels or take small mouthfuls.

As soon as my father sent me there I knew I would hate it, but I knew it was coming after Katherine had battled with him for years over becoming a journalist I knew he wouldn't let his youngest child, basically his last gift to 'society', slip into a professional career like journalism. So after five years at boarding school I am basically stuck here in limbo until someone asks to marry me.

I missed New York so much it is just so exciting. Katherine had written to me about the newsies strike last year, I wish I had been there to see it all not stuck in England spending hours on end learning how to walk with a book on my head. Katherine had also told me so much  about her and Jack in my mind their love story was so much more interesting than any book I had read in England.

So as I approach my father's mansion I make a promise to myself that this year Laura Elizabeth Pulitzer will become a whole new person.

(No one's POV)

Laura walked up towards the huge iron gates, her pure white gloved hand slipping around the silver iron bar and pulling it open the weight bearing heavily on her small frame. The heels of her black lace up boots tapped gently across the cold marble steps to the majestic oak doors.  She knocked slowly and waited shifting her weight to the front of her body then back again to calm herself down, or try to.

Yellow light poured in from the inside of the giant entrance to the mansion as the door opened towards her and a butler wearing a pristine dinner jacket and slacks stood before her.

"Miss Laura, welcome home." He greeted holding his hand out to guide her inside.

Laura walked inside slowly and looked around it hadn't changed at all, everything was gleaming nothing was out of place. The white marble staircase adorned with a rich crimson carpet that swirled elegantly creating an ignorant sense of superiority and wealth.

Yes everything around her was beautiful, yet it wasn't homely there were no precious family portraits or photos of babies wrapped in white lace. Even after five years away it still didn't feel like home.

"This way please miss, please let me take your bags." Said the butler who has been watching Laura curiously as she stood staring at her own home with a sense of disappointment, hatred almost.

She handed over her two leather cases, they didn't contain much after all her trunks full of fine dresses from England had been sent from Coventry ahead of her arrival.

The Butler passed it on to a maid that stood there decorating the walls she peeled off the wall and took Laura's case upstairs.

Laura watched the maid walk upstairs then looked towards the Butler who was walking in front of her beckoning to a door at the end of the corridor with a gold plaque on the door declaring it was the 'Office of Joseph Pulitzer'.

The butler stopped and looked at her telling her she was on her own from there. She took a deep breath and went to face her father, a man she had never seen in five years.

As she walked down the endless corridor she began to hear what sounded like shouting,

"I'm telling you to keep away from my daughter!"

She heard her father yell, clearly he hadn't stopped. The she heard a voice who she presumed was Jack's.

"She needs me to support her Joe, I need to support both of them!"

She cringed slightly waiting outside she couldn't go in now, then she heard something she never expected to hear in her father's office.

A baby crying.